Magnetize me - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magnetize me

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    244 (x5)

Magnetize me

I would like to magnetize my Land Speeders so I can have interchangeable weapon systems. SOOOOO I figured I would ask all you nice people here! How do you magnetize you're units? Space Marines or not, open thread, the more ideas the better!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x4)

I use these.

K&J Magnetics - Products

For smaller things like guns and body parts the crazy small 1/16" dia. x 1/32" work great. For bigger stuff I use the 1/8" and they hold pretty well. To put them in I'll drill a hole in the bit to be swapped, stick the magnet in and press the hell out of it with something flat to make sure it's not poking out. Then dot it with paint, squarely press it into where it's going to be, then use that mark to drill my other hole in the main piece. Then I stick a new magnet to the one that's been glued into the bit and use that to press it into the main piece. That way I don't screw up polarities.
    To add more options I just flip that around. Paint the main piece magnet, drill, new magnet on the base piece, stick the bit into position. Then all your options are sure to have the correct polarity too. Before I started doing that the magnet would inevitably flip right as I put it into the hole and get stuck. So I'd be digging it out with an x-acto for 20 minutes.

Random tips
    -Drill the holes slightly bigger and deeper than the magnet so you can test that it's flush without it getting stuck.
    -You can find nice mini-drill bits in the Dremel section at hardware stores with specific diameters to match up with whatever magnets you get.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    244 (x5)

Very nice pete! Thanks for the link I'll be ordering some shortly.

If you wouldnt mind, possibly post some pics of the process you do. This would help many of us on here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

I play "Lego Marines" - all the squad leaders are magnetized. Most tanks can swap weapons, attack bikes can replace guns with land speeders, which also have magnets to stick anything that you want on them. I have a zip baggie full of arms that I can give to many models. In general, plastic models will be easy to magnetize with the magnets that you already have a link to from "thepete".

A cool trick to simply your life - when you magnetize both arms on a model, pick the polarity of your magnets so that left arm can only go on the left side of a torso, whereas right arm will only stick to the right side of the torso

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

244 (x5)

That is a good idea distinguishing left from right with polarity. Thanks!

Also now that GW is doing all plastic kits it seems, this swapping will come in handy and save money

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x4)

I'll get some pictures once I find something that needs a magnet. I just finished all my modeling projects that deal with stuff like this a couple weeks ago.

+ Reply to Thread