Librarium Online Forums banner

Recessed Details

517 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  And Justice For All 
#1 ·
So, I've recently picked up Warmachine and decided to play Cryx. Because of the design of the models, I'm trying to learn a few new techniques. (Primarily NMM). However, the model design also brings up something I've always had trouble with and wanted to get the thoughts of other posters here, because quite frankly, LO's painting forums have the best people out there.

How do you all handle recessed detail areas, especially when they're extremely off color compared to the rest of the model?

Give examples:

and

Case in point on those images is the necrotic-green glow from the recessed areas on the torso.

Do you usually start with such areas then build around it? Or do you go in later and try to finesse the details without affecting the surrounding areas of the model?

See less See more
#5 ·
I use a couple techniques dependent on the outcome I want.

The main way is as described by the other posters, that of painting the recesses first and then carefully working round. Another quicker way than can work if done right is using washes.

Undercoat the reccess in white, carfully paint round it and then add a thinned wash of whatever colour from GW's washes range. Build up in a few layers (they should be notably thinned) till you get the right luminoscity.

Hope that is helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.