Army costs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Army costs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army costs

Which army for fantasy or 40k is the cheapest army (money wise) to build to 1750 pts?

I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Well, admittedly I've no intention of actually breaking out my calculator, but off the top of my head I'd say a pure Grey Knight army has a really good shot at taking this one. Two or three Land Raiders, just as many Grey Knight squads and perhaps a box of five Terminators to round it off. (Could be way off there though)
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I don't play fantasy, so i can't say there, but for 40k, all of them will run you a minimum of about $100 for a 1,000-point army, and even that will find you wanting more after only a couple of games.

Battleforces will save you some money, but check around the sub-forums, as some battleforces simply don't offer the best army composition options. Use EBay, and check out online dealers, as many of them will offer discounts.

Beyond that, any army with a low model count will work, such as Necrons or Grey Knights. I would STRONGLY caution you, however, not to let price alone dictate what you buy. If you're anxious to play, pick up two boxes of troops (most of which cost about $35 US), and then borrow some models from somebody else to fill out the ranks temporarily until you can start collecting stuff. Many people also play "proxies," meaning they plunk a Coke can down and call it a carnifex. Wouldn't fly in a tournament, but for casual games, nobody's gonna hate you for it.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

space marines

you can buy loads of old or crapy models on auction sites.
    25 terminators are about £30-50, and there you go, a deathwing -it is also my favourite as you can put them in a lunchbox, that`s an other £30 savings on carry case.

also, you can save money when you do a cheap list, like all infantry.

Dark eldar, but the tanks are expensive and you need loads of them

other option, orks from old models, they are fairly competitive in hordes. The problem is that the old models are slugga boyz and you need shoota boyz.

all infantry catachan, they also can be coverted as sm scouts, just ad some cloak from green staff

Badly painted models are always cheaper, and You can remove the painting - the most of it. Look for blue space marines

I don`t know anything about fantasy
    Last edited by Kaptin Elwazz; March 12th, 2010 at 15:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You can do a spacewolf army of 10 models for 1500 points, which is 8 termi models and 2 LRs. This isn't a cheap hobby though. It costs a lot of time aswell. But as with quite a lot of things you get out what you put in.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I'd guess at CSM for 40k
    If you get the battalion box you get Zerkers- a good troops choice and worth their high cost, and mixed the posesed parts with CSM's.
    You can wrack up points with a lord / sorceror quite easily.
    However, they're not that competitive, but really satisfying to model.
    For the cheapest army that'll be good and last the distance, i'd go marines:
    Youll have to get black reach for the rules etc anyway, and it's got a tac squad, a dreadnaught, terminators and a commander.
    Then a battleforce / tac squads (and a dev box) and maybe a command squad / vehicles - as takes your fancy.
    You'll have to get a codex as well, so it won't be less than £ 100 in any which way.
    However, ebay is cheap for marines.

for WFB - well, I'd guess Vampire counts. get a few vamps, and alot of zombies. maybe another unit or two, as takes your fancy.

I would use a mates until you get the feel of it in any way.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

I think, pound for pound, the cheapest army deal is the Necron Phalanx. You essentially get a reasonably competitive 1,500pt army out of the box. Close second is Deathwing or Terminator-heavy Space Wolves.

If you're willing to do some ebaying, AOBR Space Marine armies can be cheap to build.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ernie55 View Post
    You can do a spacewolf army of 10 models for 1500 points, which is 8 termi models and 2 LRs. This isn't a cheap hobby though. It costs a lot of time aswell. But as with quite a lot of things you get out what you put in.
    If Terminators are 40 points each, and Land Raiders are 250 each (mind you I am using Black templar Codex, but the point costs aren't that much different) How are you getting 1500 points? With 10 termies, and 2 Land Raiders, I come up with 900 points. Takking additions you are looking at 1200 points MAX with every piece of wargear you could possibly gather.

Of course that puts you at $200.. $50 for each box of 5 Termies, and $50 for each LR.

Or course you are still forgetting that you need to look at the force orginization chart.. Must take HQ, and troop choice. Compuslory, then you have the elites and heavy support.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MarxusTharin View Post
    Or course you are still forgetting that you need to look at the force orginization chart.. Must take HQ, and troop choice. Compuslory, then you have the elites and heavy support.
    Space Wolves take Logan Grimnar as their HQ, which allows Wolf Guard (with Terminator Armour) as troops. He is around 275 points alone. With two Land Raiders that goes up to just over 800. Add Njal Stormcaller (another 200 or so points). So that's 500 points left to spend on Wolf Guard Terminators. Which can easily be filled by 8 of them.

Wolf Guard + Terminator Armour + Mark of Wulfen + Storm Shield + Wolf Claw. One Cyclone in each squad.

Easily. In fact, that's probably over 1500, but still only 10 models and 2 tanks.

Cost at GW price (+ online price)
    Wolf Guard Pack: £25 (£20 )
    Terminator Assault Squad: £25 (£20 )
    Land Raider: £35 (£28 )
    Land Raider: £35 (£28 )

Total: £120 (£96 )

Optional. You have 2 Terminators left so can convert these:
    Njal: £12 (£9.60 )
    Logan: £12 (£9.60 )

So, in conclusion, you can get a 1500 army for under a hundred quid.
    Last edited by Ravendove; March 19th, 2010 at 11:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

OK I can see that, 10 minis and 2 tanks at 1295 points without wargear or abilities.. Pretty decent. But how practical are they against IG of 1500 points?

Not to create a debate, just curious about feasibility.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast