Manticore / Hydra project - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Manticore / Hydra project

Hi all,

After doing some small modeling projects (marbo, punisher turret...) I decided to try something a bit harder. I love the Forgeworld IG tanks, but unfortunately I can't justify paying the price, so I thought I'd try my hand at building a Manticore/ Hydra onto a chimera chassis. I will make the missile rack and the hydra autocannons so that they can be magnetized and swappable. Here is what I have done so far. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

This is my first time posting images, so hopefully this works.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

update

Well, for anyone who is interested, I've done a bit more detail on the turret and started a missile. Thought I'd post it before the end of the weekend.
    Attached Images

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

The turret is fantastic. Did you manage to piece that together on a whim, or are you using templates? (I'm not looking to make one, just wondering how you managed to make it look so great)
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

Nice work. I can't wait to see more of it.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Thanks for the compliments! I tried to scale some general shapes off of some of the Imperial Armor drawings, but since they aren't the same as the actual model, I just tried to go with what looked good. As far as the missile goes, I tried to search for a pen with a similar contour to the nose of the missile...I guess we'll see how that goes. I'm waiting for some plastic that I ordered to arrive, but I'll keep posting pictures as I progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Wow it looks great already. I can't wait until its finished....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Fantastic! I'm seriously impressed, dude. How'd you get the round bits of plasticard? Did you use a compass? The wiring/tubing is a nice touch. Not many scratchbuilds go into such detail. Where'd you get the tube for the sensor... thingy (I assume that's what it is)? Is that plasticard tubing or did you get some narrow PVC piping from the hardware store?

How do you plan to do the autocannons? Also scratchbuilt? Was the chimera a full box? If not, how much was it?

Very, very cool! Keep it up!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Thanks again for the compliments everyone!

Everything i'm using is either evergreen or plastruct styrene from my local hobby shop. I've been stock piling quite the selection of sizes, but the nice thing is since the pieces that I am making are so small, I'm barely depleting my stock...so it's pretty cheap. I did use a compass for the circle portions, and to refine them I used sort of a 'manual calculas' approach. I kept cutting them into pollygons with more and more sides until the corners that were left were really easy to file.

The radar sensor dome tube (at least I think that's what it is) is a piece of styrene as well. The largest diameter I could find was 1/2 inch so I used it. A lot of the details were done with fine round or flat styrene strips..about 0.02 inch thick.

I was going to scratch build the autocannons as well. I like how large the forgeworld hydra AC's are compared to all the others avaliable, and luckily there is a wide variety of styrene tubing avaliable to create the ??telescoping?? barrel effect that the original model has. I have the plans for the AC's sketched allready, but I have some figureing to do in order to make the Manitcore missile rack, and AC mounting surfaces simillar, and then I'll continue with the rest of the AC build.

The donor Chimera was a standard kit that I picked up at my local GW. I thought I'd give it a try on one and then if all goes well, I'll probably buy 2 more online at a discount.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

It's very good - i was considering doing a less scratch version using spare valk missiles (mounted on the Bastion sensor array "disc", and Aegis defence line autocannons, using a spare rhino top cupola on a chimera. This is better, I'm just lazy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

The Aegis defense line is a good way to go. I've thought of doing that myself. Trouble is, that adds to the cost of building these things, as you gotta buy the chimera first, THEN the Aegis line. I also know I want at least two of them, so I'm gonna have a ton of scenery stuff left over that I'm going to have no idea what to do with. Ugh!

Granted, this method is MUCH more labor-intensive, but I still say it's better, especially on one's wallet. Granted, plasticard adds up, but if you go in with a plan, and only buy what you need, it's surprisingly cheap, compared to buying models.

I figured you used a compass, as the lines were very precise. I've heard there's a tool that lets you cut in a circle, like a compass but with a blade instead of a pencil. I need to look into that. I didn't know styrene tubing came that big. Gonna have to investigate that one myself. What diameter do you think your gun barrels ought to be?

One more question: How'd you bend the styrene rod for those wires/conduits/whatever they are? It's a nice touch. I had given up on the idea of scratch-building these things, but you've inspired me! Well done! Keep the pics coming!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast