blood splatters and pre-heresy World Eaters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blood splatters and pre-heresy World Eaters

Hey guys, I did a search on this and I'm sure it's out there but I couldn't find it so here it goes.

Pre Heresy World Eaters! ZOMG! - WarSeer

If you scroll down to the blood splattered squad, I was wondering if anyone knew how I can get my minis to look so good. The blood splatter really is quite gory and realistic and I don't know how to replicate that. Also, in general, any tips on actually painting the full mini? I read elsewhere about some method of blending the white? I don't really understand how you blend white in this case. Anyway, thanks for looking, hope you can help. Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Vary nice painting. I once got something similar but not as good. The large blood smears were smudged on but the splatters were a bit more hit and miss. Hold a loaded brush about an inch away from the target area and with your finger pull the bristles away from the model then release them. As they return to their original position some paint will be fly forward onto the figure. Common sense will tell you to practise against a sheet of paper until you're happy with the technique. Varying the water mix in the paint, the distance, and the flick force will all alter the result. Good luck sir.
    Last edited by praxis; April 4th, 2010 at 08:41. Reason: Improving clarity
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

Yes, I've seen that technique with the brush used before to good effect. I would use an old toothbrush rather than a paintbrush however. When painting things such as blood splatters, the key is not to go overboard, and not to make the paint too thick. Just slapping a load of red paint onto a figure will look dreadful. As always, work in layers. Three thin ones, of a varying consistency will look much better than one solid layer (That applies to painting the figures in general too).

For blending with white, you need to start with a medium grey basecoat. Then Shade beneath edges of the armour with a darker grey. Then take the original basecoat, and add a little white to it. Roughly 3:1 in ratio (grey:white). When adding this layer be sure not to paint into the recesses. Then work up to a 2:1 ratio as a highlight, then a 1:1 an so on, making finer and finer highlights until you are working with pure white for the final highlighting.

This is just one method, and you can take even longer with the blending, until you have eventually applied something like15 layers. But that isn't really an option when you have an army to paint.

Anyway, I hope this helps
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, I think I get that, in the end it will give a better sense of depth than a solid coat of white. The initial highlights would be pretty heavy though right and as you work to lighter colors, the area painted gets less and less?

As for the splatters, I was aware of that method of spraying, but what I was more interested in was the clumps of gore and such. you mentioned something about smudging? It gives a nice sense of rampage. Also if anyone knows how he may have dirtied up the feet, that would be awesome to know too.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the comments, much appreciated.

I just realized, I now definitely see what you were saying about the white, you work from the outside in, not the inside out. The outer edges will be darker and you work your way in with lighter colors eventually highlighting the middle with white. I get it now I think.
    Last edited by insomniac666; April 4th, 2010 at 19:42.

+ Reply to Thread