H2Oils... Worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    New England, USA
    3 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

H2Oils... Worth it?

Hi all:

Normally, I've shied away from using oil paints, as I don't like the idea of using mineral spirits, turpentine, etc. to clean my brushes. That's stuff you can't just dump down the drain (at least you can't where I live).

Then I heard about H2Oils. I've never tried them, but I hear they can thin and clean up with water, just like acrylics. Is this true? What are your experiences with it? Is it better than the usual acrylic lines like Citadel, Vallejo, etc.? I hear they're better for wet-blending, but what do you think?

Last edited by Canew; April 6th, 2010 at 15:38.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements

All Over
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x4)

I have a handful of the Windsor Newton type from my painting days. They mostly work as advertised. I haven't used them on any minis, just terrain. The drying time is longer than acrylics, but not crazy long like some oil colors, so I could see that being beneficial to blending. They also make great washes.

I wouldn't replace acrylics with them for mini painting unless you're going for a cool painterly look and have the patience to do a lot of color mixing and paint thinning. I do think it would be interesting to try out but I think they're most useful for terrain and tank weathering.

+ Reply to Thread