Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
So I posted here (Howdy) about my return to painting and gaming after over a decade without touching a paintbrush. Since then I've found a gaming group in my hometown and wandered along to see what was going on. After meeting some decent folks down there I've been trying to put together a battle-worthy army to play with. The geek inside never goes away!
Since most of them play 40k at the club, and it's a lot quicker to paint a 40k army than a Fantasy one, I've switched away from the Elves for now and am trying to get what's left of my old Eldar sorted out and painted.
Under the sofa bed I found some rangers, some old school harlequins, a falcon and some fire dragons. Given what I had, I decided to paint these in Alaitoc colours given they have the ranger/harlequin thing going on. It's not quite the same scheme as in the GW books though, and I'm also planning to do the aspect warriors in a mostly craftworld scheme, with some variation for their aspect. I never liked how an Eldar army looks really disjointed with all the aspects in their own schemes. I'm mostly focused on getting these tabletop quality and ready to play with quickly but think I could do with some tips on how to improve them.
It's all WIP but I'm nearly done with several things including this Dire Avenger Squad (a new purchase - couldn't resist the new plastic kits).
Here's a small squad of Fire Dragons. Still need to do work on these to soften up the yellowy bits but this illustrates what I mean about wanting the aspects to keep some of the main colour scheme.
And where would these squads be without some tricked out rides to get them around? Here's a Wave Serpent and Falcon I'm working on to ferry the Avengers and Dragons respectively into death-dealing range.
Also a half-eaten Easter egg is featured but this doesn't generally make its way into my army lists...
Any comments and tips about what I can do next on all of the above are gratefully received!
I think they look pretty darn good, especially considering you haven't touched a brush in 10 years!
i think what you could do is use the dry brushing as a guide for high lighting, and just paint some some slightly light tones of each color round the edges, then perhaps a wash of which ever color your using (i even use just watered down normal paint), should looks pretty effective.
Thanks HappyJim. It's not actually drybrushing I've been doing but stippling - I notice the photos have made some things (the fire dragons especially) look a lot more "powdery" than they do in reality though. I think the wash idea is a good one to reduce this if it gets a bit too much when looking at the models on the table.
BeardofBees you dark horse, i'm sure you've been practising!
Your right about the photos, it makes them look a little chalky, but as you say it might just be the images rather than the actual minis. I am impressed by the basing though, and your approach is really working with the DA. The Fire Dragons i'm not so sure about- can't put my finger on why though! If it was me i'd be tempted to make the yellow bits a little more orangey (maybe graduate the colour from orange to yellow, and make their sash more of a traditional Aspect colour than the grey/white you have at present.
I love the tanks though, they are looking great.
PLAN CLAN MAN!!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson
Thanks for the comments all.
I still haven't quite finished either DA or Fire Dragon Squads, or the tanks, but I started slapping some paint on the next unit anyway just to get them standing out on the table. Or rather, ideally not standing out - since they're the core part of an Alaitoc force, Rangers!
For these guys I wanted to try to learn something I never really did before, highlighting gradually in layers. When I was painting as a kid/teenager, I'd done some drybrushing and applying washes to highlight and shade, but the results were always pretty poor. After reading a few tutorials on here about using thin coats of paint to build up colour, I tried in on the cloaks:
Still need to do more layers as it looks kind of patchy, but I'm overall pleased with the results so far. If anyone has tips on what I should be doing here, please shout. I'm diluting the color probably about 1:6 with water and just paint, paint, painting it on to the raised bits of the cloaks. On a few it's gone patchy and you can see the brush strokes, on others it looks a bit better. No idea how to get it consistent!
Now to hopefully have enough discipline to finish these and everything else before going on to something else!
I think those cloaks look pretty darn good. If some are patchy then that means you have not diluted the paint with enough water or that you added too much paint in one go.
You could give the new citadel washes a dry. They are great for neatening up layering and producing some good shading.