Imperial Fists, any good results at painting yellow? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Imperial Fists, any good results at painting yellow?

Hi,

Im not a bad painter but im not having much look with painting the yellow for my Imperial Fists. I generaly have been painting up from chaos black, to iyanden dark sun, washed with gryphon sepia, the highlighted with Sunburst then Bad moon. The coulour looks right but even with a little skill there is so much paint that is becomes pitted or streaky.

I had 2 units painted but have stripped them to start again as the look was as above.
    I am contemplating spraying white and seeing what a yellow wash will do but i realy dont think it will work as i would then have to work backwards to painted shaded areas or the joints in the armour, and is i should slip onto the armour i wont be able to paint over the mistake.

Anyway, just woundering if there was some secret or proven way to paint large scale yellow, particularly for marines.

thanks for any help you can suggest or posts you can point me to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

Well when panting transparent colors its always good to start at the lightest color and work down as its almost impossible to paint from black and get a flaw less color. I would start at skull white and put the yellow foundation on top. Then wash it as heavy as youd like then come back and highlight with the foundations. Then use the other yellows to highlight. Thats how i do it and is pretty much the easiest way i know.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Produced Music<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Donations Welcome$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I book marked the following link a while ago. I haven't used it myself, as it does have a lot of steps, but I think it may give you enough information to find your own path. It manly starts with a Vomit Brown base coat over the black under coat and builds up from there. Hope it helps.

CB Studios - miniature art by GD Winner Wil Davies

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Invest in a good gray spray primer. It's the best of both worlds, where if you want dark models all you need is a black wash, and if you want light you just drybrush white. As for yellow, I start with 2 slightly wetter layers/washes of Darksun foundation. From there you do your lining in the gaps (the example above uses brown, but I personally use chestnut ink. you could get the same results by mixing brown and red washes.), and the rest you finish up with a smaller bristled brush. Your current list of colors is great, though try to use thinner, wetter layers, and try to leave a little bit of the remaining color visible near the bottom. This covers your shading without you having to risk ruining the yellow with sloppy washes. If you want it to pop, take skull white and add a drop of bad moon. Use this for the highest raised surfaces like the helmet mohawk, top of hand, top arm and cufflinks, and top knees. I'm sure I have a few paint in progress pictures if you'd like a reference. Your current list is great, you just need to remember that really wet paint and focused painting will get that look you want.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by saltrock36 View Post
    Hi, The coulour looks right but even with a little skill there is so much paint that is becomes pitted or streaky.
    It looks like the only problem you got is that your paint is too thick. Probably one of the biggest problems people seems to have when it comes to painting miniatures. Water is your friend! I can image that it would take a really long time to apply lots of layers of yellow to get a smooth surface. You could try to just start with a white primer, undercoat with Iyanded Sun and then just do what you do.

You got any pictures of your work?

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...lamenters.html ([Tale of Painters] Lamenters)

Check that out. CCM managed to churn out a great looking army in yellow.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I agree a spray gun will give you nice clean results for the base coat and maybe even the shading steps. Not to mention cutting down a ton of time on the layering. An airbrush would be ideal but even the less expensive GW airgun will work for decent basecoats. You can still prime black and run the foundation yellow and a brown/sepia wash through the gun and it will cover well. The airbrush/gun will produce a very smooth finish that won't show streaks. From there you should be able to highlight in a couple layers drastically cutting down time.

This does however come at a greater expense if you don't already have the equipment. Time or money always seems to be the equation... LOL

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

As Almberg said use thinned layers of paint. Too many painters use thicker paints than they should and end up with all sorts of textures except smooth.

I start with a white base in the area to be yellow and then paint it...err.....yellow. Couple of washes with sepia or ogre flesh and then rework thinned layers of yellow over the mid tone areas. Finally add white to the yellow and work up the highlights.

Hope that is helpful.

+ Reply to Thread