Welcome to Librarium Online!
So, he's finally done. Overall I am pretty damn happy with him, painting wise I like. The freehand isn't amazing but I'm still learning - it says "Empire" at the top and "Sigmar" at the bottom, I found I tend to paint letters too thickly. Something to deal with next time. The weathering might be hard to see, but has turned out quite nicely. Then I decided to do some blood on his hammer, came out well I feel. The final thing I have done tonight was his base - or the shield on it. It's a midtone purple with half an eight-pointed star on... then muddied and bloodied up. I really like the look of it.
I did have a slight problem at the end. The hands did not go together seamlessly like they originally did. I do not know why but there was a slight gap, I am not happy about this as I feel it spoils him a bit. I don't want a buyer to get him and see these and get upset. However, I cannot think of a way of fixing it without GSing over the gaps. So, it will be left. I have tried to cover them as best I can. *shrug*
Anyway, before the pictures go up, he will be going on ebay later this week (I'm going to post a link to it when he's up), so feel free to bid on him! This is mainly a small project to see if I am good enough to occasionally earn a little bit of money on the side. It be nice!
Slightly better close up of the main body:
Comments, criticism etc?
For the gap you can always try a dot or two of super glue to fill the area if it isn't too big. This shouldn't distort the other areas too much and once dry you can just touch up the paint in the area. I use this method from time to time with decent results. Works best when the area is pretty small.
Overall I think it looks pretty good. I do like the rusted and trampled shield on the base. The only problem I have with it and it is a very minor problem... it really blends in well with the rest of the base. Almost too much. I think it could be an interesting focal point on the figure and could stand to be lightened up a bit. Th blood on the hammer does look nice. I also think you did a great job capturing an expression on his face.
Probably the weakest area is the freehand. It isn't bad but does look like it was painted on. It doesn't quite look like it was meant to be there (as in stitched into the fabric). It doesn't detract much from the over effect of the figure and as you said you are still learning the technique so all I can say is Kudos for that. Freehand is not my strong point either.
I don't see why he wouldn't sell on ebay.
Lovely! Especially the armour. It's nice to see some plate armour that isn't bright, shiny or clean.
About the freehand, next time you take a go at it, try catching shades and such on it like the cape. It doesn't really look like you shaded it in the pics.
Overall a nice paintjob, it'll most definitely sell on Ebay even with a small gap in the hands, considering what's actually selling on Ebay. (Not directed to you)
Kroot Mercenary Single Figure 40K Tau Pro Painted on eBay (end time 09-May-10 07:35:27 BST)considering what's actually selling on Ebay.
I'm sorry if this is any ones model, but £13/$20 WTF?
For anyone who sells models on Ebay/similar sites.
Pro is short for professional, therefore for it to be professionally painted then it has to be your 'job' to paint models(or at least to be at such a standard.)
I would say your model could easily pass for a real pro painted model.
The shield I agree with you there. I think I was a bit over zealous with the mud and blood, so it blends really well with the base. It works with the rest of the piece in my mind, but I do see your point. I think my problem with it was that the purple I used was much too bright. And then I went to town with the aforementioned effects...
I agree with the freehand. Its sort of why I wanted to do some. I need to practice to improve, and I do think I am slowly getting better at it. Slowly. But I just need the practice.
Thanks for the comments guys.
You can try adding further layers of super glue and keep touching up until your are satisfied. If it is mostly sealed up now another layer maybe two should do the trick.