base coat for forgeworld avatar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

base coat for forgeworld avatar

gday all,
    was wonder what colour basecoat i should use, black,skull white or badmoon yellow?
    Ive had the fw spear avatar for around a year now just scared to paint it if any 1 has any tips i would greatly appreciate.

'hatred is true power' ritual master garth, the 11th

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Undersecretary of Decay Radioactivejack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The basecoat you want is really a personal choice. Some folks use black because it is a bit more forgiving, and tends to help with shading the deep recesses. Using white generally makes the colors a bit brighter. I personally use white for almost everything, but you really have to decide for yourself.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Are you talking about primer or the first coat of paint? Is there a Bad Moon Yellow primer?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Depends on what you want it to look like in the end.
    I'm going to guess you're trying the magma under the skin look so I'll suggest a white basecoat. It'll make any yellow you paint over it all the brighter.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Another trick that kind of gets you the best of both worlds... If you want to prime white but are concerned about hiding missed spots, etc... You can prime white and then do a watered down black ink wash. It will keep most of the model very light, with the areas just as joints, little details, etc. staying dark.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers for replys.
    canew gamesworkshop used to make a lot of colours in spray bad yellow moon is the last 1 i have from the 'old days'.
    what effect would the yellow have on basecoat? but im thinking white with dark ink might be the way i go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

By the way, since you've had it for so long it may not matter, but I'd take a few minutes to wash the model with soap and water (and the dry it) before trying to apply a basecoat. Some Forgeworld models have a resin?cover chemical? - anyway, the word escapes me the sometimes Forgeworld models have some kind of residue on them that prevent bascoat paint from grabbing hold, it'll just runoff like really watery paint.

Hope it helps.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I believe it is called mold release agent...

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah hotspike thats why i havnt painted it yet, was scared about the cleaning(heard some horror stories). so was thinking to paint him up either like stone with heat/flames of course or in like a more metal paintjob. either in a iron or bronze kinda way what you guys think?

+ Reply to Thread