First Air Brush- Is this a good one? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Air Brush- Is this a good one?

I am looking to get an air brush and compressor to paint my Tau vehicles. I am currently looking at this one here because they have it at my local Hobby Lobby and I can get 40% off.

Is the a decent airbrush to purchase? If not what other ones should I look at ( I would like to spend between $100 - $180 on the airbrush + $50-$80 on the compressor)? Also what type of compressor would be best?

Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

Woah. Now that's a spendy airbrush.

The question is, I can't see if it's a single or double action airbrush, and you're very limited in your needle/nozzle to one single size. The built-in cup can also be limiting. Even with your discount, I'd almost call that overpriced. Personally, I'd suggest looking up the Paasche VL series kit. Less than half the price, but I think it's more versatile. It's double-action, comes with three different sizes of needles and nozzles, a paint cup and two siphon-feed paint bottles, an air hose, the tool, an airbrush holder (screws into a table), and is rather easy to maintain. Also, parts availability is pretty good; you can order pretty much anything you might break in it.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but, I love my airbrush: I've painted everything from finer stuff to full tank camo on a good couple dozen models now. Also, I suggest getting a compressor that comes with an adjustable pressure regulator. Gives you even more control!
    Last edited by Zeewulf; June 2nd, 2010 at 16:51.
    "Speed is life! You go slow, you die!"
    -Sgt. Unther, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

That's a horrifying price for an Eclipse HP-CS, but with the 40% off, you do come out a bit ahead of the game. It's definitely a very good airbrush, Iwata's famous for making quality tools and the eclipse series are their workhorse models. On the down side, Iwatas have something of a twitchy reputation - they're often a lot more finicky and need more maintenance than their counterparts from Paasche, Badger, etc. If you're okay with that, by all means, go ahead - you'll not be disappointed.

I'm rather in agreement with Zeewulf, though - it might not be the best option for a first airbrush. Something like the Paasche VSR90 or Badger's 100LG will give you all the features of the Eclipse in a cheaper, less fussy package.

I reccommend those because they're both double action, gravity feed units - they're less wasteful with the paint and work with gravity for a nicer feed, IMHO. If you'd like a more traditional approach, Zeewulf's suggestion of the Paasche VL is a great option - the VL, alongside Badger's venerable 155 Anthem and 175 Crescendo, makes up the three most well known, tough-as-nails, workhorse airbrushes. Every graphics shop on the planet is all but guaranteed to have at least one of these reliable old airbrushes in its inventory.

Compressors are a much simpler choice. You've got basically 2 choices - specialty artist's models and plain old hardware store models.

The specialty stuff is great, running nearly silently in the background and purpose built for only the pressure range an airbrush needs. However, they have 2 big downsides - they can't do anything else, and they're several hundred or thousand dollars.

Which leaves hardware store compressors. You're looking for a fairly middle range model with a 2 to 5 gallon air tank and an adjustable pressure gauge. That's it. They're really loud, but the beauty of it all is that it only runs for a minute or so to fill the tank to ~120 psi, then you spend the next hour working in blissful silence with the stored air. Just adjust the gauge to your desired pressure and spray until the air runs low, then run the motor again. Simple.

And as an added bonus, you've got a functional compressor (which sometimes includes air tool kits as a bonus), too! You can use it to blow dust and dirt off of things or out of tight spots, inflate a tire, and run a nailer or any other air tool. Not relevant to modelling, but very handy in day to day life.
    Last edited by Wraith; June 4th, 2010 at 02:46.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

I have to beg to differ slightly with you on the compressor price, Wraith. I picked up a nice airbrush compressor (a paasche one as well....now I sound like a salesman!) for only around 120ish. But you are right. A hardware store compressor would let me power some air tools, while this thing won't!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeewulf View Post
    I have to beg to differ slightly with you on the compressor price, Wraith. I picked up a nice airbrush compressor (a paasche one as well....now I sound like a salesman!) for only around 120ish. But you are right. A hardware store compressor would let me power some air tools, while this thing won't!
    Well, as with anything in life, results can and will vary. If you look in the right places, you'll probably find affordable airbrush compressors... But all the ones I've ever seen were priced somewhat crazily.

Congrats on the cheap compressor find, Zee.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

191 (x3)

I prefer to use my 60 gallon 3.2 HP sears craftsman compresser.. Ya, but I may as well since I restore old muscle cars as well.

I have a badger 150 I am pleased with. THe one I have is a middle of the road, 3 needle model, I picked up on Ebay new for about 50% off.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Geeze. Now I'm getting compressor envy.

Oh, and Wraith, the downside to my deal? It took two months for the compressor to arrive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Anther option is a 5-10 gallon portable air tank with ~120 lb capacity with a regulator, which you'll have to refill with air somewhere. Only run you around $20 though and last quite a while only pushing out the low pressure needed to airbrush with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so wraith what airbrush and compressor do you use?
    as i am looking to get a new set as im very unhappy with the gamesworkshop 1.
    Last edited by furyofthegods; June 19th, 2010 at 12:09.
    'hatred is true power' ritual master garth, the 11th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by furyofthegods View Post
    so wraith what airbrush and compressor do you use?
    as i am looking to get a new set as im very unhappy with the gamesworkshop 1.
    A plain Campbell Hausefeld compressor (3 gallon tank, IIRC), with a battered old Badger Crescendo for rough work and a shiny new Paasche Talon for finer stuff.

The Talon is a very nice unit, very fine spray and easy to use. Rather sensitive to paint mixing, though.

My old Badger has been with me for over a decade now, and hasn't let me down yet. Hmm... That reminds me, I really ought to replace the needle and nozzle soon - they've seen better days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast