Getting Paint Off Plastic Mini's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Paint Off Plastic Mini's

After a half year of focusing on my music (playing, jamming, writing, etc), I have decided to revisit my ork that have spent a lot of time under my bed out of harms way, but upon opening up the box, I found that before I put them away, I had begun painting them, and unfortunately have since forgotten what paints/techniques/etc that I used to get them to where they are, really bad lol.

My question is, is there any home remedies I can use to remove the paint so I can start anew.

I only started the Orks because a friend of mine wanted the Space Marines in the Black Reach box, so I went halves in the box with him.

Also, is there any way to get basing stuff (gravel/static flock/etc) off the bases of the mini's? I have a Tyranid army that desperately needs a complete re-basing, if it helps its glued to the base with PVA.

Thanks All

Stupid people do stupid things
    Smart people outsmart each other
    And I... Play guitar and write folk songs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

i'd suggest a search of the forums and the tutorial section. There are countless threads on stripping miniatures.

Some of these methods remvoe super go so I'd assume they will g othrough pva glue. You could always just buy some new bases though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentdeathz View Post
    i'd suggest a search of the forums and the tutorial section. There are countless threads on stripping miniatures.

Some of these methods remvoe super go so I'd assume they will g othrough pva glue. You could always just buy some new bases though.
    I never actually thought of doing a search before posting lol, its been ages since i was last on so im trying to get used to the site again.

new bases would would work, but ive glued my nids to the bases, and a lot of them are in slottabases, and it would be a massive pain getting my hormagaunts to stand straight up if i cut them off the base. i only need to put on new a new basing thing that wont contradict my color scheme
    Stupid people do stupid things
    Smart people outsmart each other
    And I... Play guitar and write folk songs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I have had success getting a hobby knife and peeling away PVA glued rubble/grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple Green. You can purchase a large bottle of it at Home Depot. Just leave the models submerged in it overnight, then gently scrub the paint off in the morning with a toothbrush.

It's not going to be completely clean (unless you use a paint on primer, then you can get it almost new) but it'll come close.

Also Simple Green won't remove plastic/krazy glue, but it will usually weaken PVA glue, so you'll have a leg up on the basing problem, as well.
    My Blog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some say nail polish remover works aswell but i'm not sure about that (except for paint, then it does work, tried it to clean my table after knocking my chaos black open and let it dry for a week because of sheer lazyness)

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Depends on where you live. If your U.K, bound pop to Asda and get a bottle of there cleaning fluid (its like 21p for a big bottle). The cheaper the better because the results will be the same. Pop your model in your mums best tea cup (bone china is the best coz they cost more) then pour the cleaning fluid over the model till its covered then wait. You will need to sit and watch it overwise it won't work. After 24 hours of watching (remember if you take your eyes ooff it fo more than a moment the process will not work) remove the model and scrub it under a cold tap with your sisters tooth brush. Most of the paint will just come away. You may need to repeat the process if you have used a base coat (which i dont , for real).
    This is the best way to do it in the U.K because as great as simple green is meant to be, you just try and buy a bottle! (you won't be able to because they don't sell it in the U.K and you will have to import it if you really want it) And then you will know my way is the best!

But if you over the pond then yeah simple green is meant to do the same thing.

Metal models are even easy because you cat get paint stripper, this stuff smells like toxic waste and will your eyes sting and youur fingers bleed. If your under 18 get your dad or someone to help or do for you.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

If you are in the US. Then I will add a vote for the "SIMPLE GREEN/ Toothbrush method". It turns cheap Ebay purchased models into new looking troops that are primed and ready for painting.
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. June 13th, 2010, 09:13