Quality Airbrush? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been looking into getting an airbrush for quite some time now. Do you guys reccommend them for painting 40k and also what brand would be a quality name. Any information would be helpful.

<span style='color:red'>

Wins/Draws/Losses
    Dark Angels: 13/2/8
    Blood Angels: At the planning board
    (I know theres more but these are confirmed/official battles)
    </span>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend airbrushes for 40k scale in three areas. Terrain, Vehicles, primer/basecoats. You can paint much smaller. I have one brush that will paint a single marine eye. Regardless of the size of brush you decide to get, there are a couple things you want. Double action is a must. It takes more practice, but you&#39;ll be much happier in the long run. Many people swear by single action, but they probably just paint single coats, vehicles, etc. No special effects. If you just want to paint the base color on marines and armor the single action will work out fine. You also want a top feed brush for everything except larger terrain pieces. The bottom feed (suck up from a bottle) waste too much paint for our scale.

Brush size; there are some things you may want to consider:

Fine Brushes: In order to use a very fine line brush (the ones normally used by photo retouch artists) you must have paint specially formulated for spray through a brush (not the case for larger spray). I use Vallejo, among others, and it will not spray WELL through my finest brushes. I use Vallejo Model Air which will spray through the brush. So this leaves you using medium head brushes unless you want to pay for a set of special paints. You can buy a few colors to cover what you use the most. They run about the same cost as all the other acrylics. I recommend a Badger 100F (fine). Iwata are better but you also pay for it, so for the best all around Badger is great.

Medium Brush: These larger brushes paint acrylics well, but are not fine enough to spray details on a troop. They are excellent for vehicles. A little too small for terrain, but this is mainly because they have small reservoirs that run out too soon. You have to keep refilling. This is probably the best choice for a single airbrush. Just about any brand name will work. Something with a 2mm - 4mm head. They&#39;re often labeled &#39;medium&#39; or some variation. Badger, Iwata, Paasche, etc I pefer brushes with the paint cup on the side instead of the top, but that&#39;s a personal thing

Large: If you need a large brush its strictly for fast painting of terrain, primer, basecoats, clear coats, and the base color on vehicles. I only use a large brush for terrain, its a bottom feed with a large bottle and I use cheap craft acrylics. Any brand, Badger, Iwata, Paasche, Thayer & Chandler, Aztec, etc.

PROS: Very uniform paint, fantastic fades and shading, fast coverage especially for vehicles, makes terrain painting easy.

CONS: Now after all that, if you don&#39;t paint a lot of terrain, vehicles, or have an entire marine army to paint don&#39;t bother with an airbrush. First you have to have a set up to use it. Either a large empty room (garage) or a spray booth with an air suction system. Even though acrylics are non-toxic, they do leave a fine paint dust in the area you paint, and most of the cleaners and thinners smell when vaporized through your brush. If you have ANY wind outside you can&#39;t paint well, so don&#39;t think you can just go outside. Each time you set up it takes a lot of time. I can leave my entire setup in place, booth and all, but it still takes me time to set up. When you&#39;re done you have plenty of cleanup if you want your brush to last. Most of the time I paint for a short while after dinner, between shows, etc. I can&#39;t be bothered to go through everything when I just want to paint. So the only time I use airbrushes is when I&#39;m going to paint a bunch of vehicles. Then I spray the base color on all of them, spray some large shading and a few details, clean up and go to the brush for the finish.

Don&#39;t forget you&#39;ll need a compressor, hoses, etc. DO NOT waste your money on canned air, or other such systems. Buy a compressor or don&#39;t waste your time. The good news is you don&#39;t have to get an expensive hobby compressor. Go to the hardware store and get a tool compressor, put it outside when you use it and run a hose inside. They&#39;re noisy but much cheaper.

So my recommendation is get one or two brushes and a compressor if you have extra money and want to try out another aspect of hobby painting. You can also do your significant other&#39;s nails, spray T-shirts, suntans, etc.

If my budget was limited I would rather buy good brushes, quality paint and more miniatures that an airbrush.

IG and other tread-heads (use a lot of armor) will definitely get their money&#39;s worth out of an airbrush. Tyranids would benefit a lot if you want organic looking paint jobs; mottled, soft stripes, paterns, etc. The ability to paint soft edges and fades is one of the airbrush&#39;s greatest advantage.

If you still want to get one, let me know what you plan to paint. I can point you to some specific models, places to buy on line that haven&#39;t caused me problems, and a good US vendor of Vallejo Model Air paints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am definitley still interested. My main line of work would be with lots of marine models. I still have about half of my 4k point dark angels army to paint and then ill be starting up blood angels.

For the dark angels (that still have to be painted) i have:
    --Land Raider
    --Land Raider Crusader (primed)
    --Predator Annihilator (primed)
    --3 Land Speeders (primed only 1 coat)
    --8 Bikes (primed 1 coat)
    --Rhino
    --2 Rhinos (primed)
    --20 marines (primed)

As for the Blood Angels army i have been looking at already painted armies on ebay and other sources but I still haven&#39;t found what I&#39;m looking for. I have made an army list and it will have 55 Marine models and 4 vehicles. The fine brush sounds very interesting but it also sounds like it involves a lot of work. You mentioned that it requires special mixes? I&#39;m not exactly understanding that part could you explain a lil bit more?

Wins/Draws/Losses
    </span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK you got a lot of good info from wolfraider. Personaly I use an Aztec, but it was a product of the following process having talked to alot of pros

1. you are probably gonna use an airbrush less than you first imagine

2. Compressors are expensive so start off getting compressed air cand and take a view on how much you us it (after getting past the initial excitement

3. Most brushes will allow you to use various sizes of pins, which may allow you to cover Wolfraiders small, medium and large with a single brush and multiple nozels

4. double action is worth the investment as your man said (one controls the amount of paint, the other the amount of air)

5. proper cleaning is a must, definatley take the time and get the fluid, I would say get a cleaning station if you can afford it

6. unles you want to spend time talking on the phone and using emails and hanging around waiting for postal deliveries, find a local art store

7. Before you buy- talk to people at the store, Ideally talk to people at a couple of stores (this is what I did) and bounce their info off each other - bear in mind they are trying to sell you something. Ideally try and persuade them to let you try one, but you probably wont have much luck there
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second Cheredanine&#39;s recommendation of Aztec. They make good brushes at a reasonable cost. The only brand I&#39;ve found that is consistently top of the line in quality is Iwata, however you pay for it. Sort of the Rolls Royce of airbrushes. Stick with one of the general brands Aztec, Paasche, Badger.

As far as the special mix for fine brushes. Regular acrylic paint will clog and splatter through a very fine nozzle. Even quality acrylics thinned out don&#39;t perform very well. It can be done, but the results are not as good and it becomes very irritating quickly. If you want a very fine brush for details, or buy a multi-head one like Cheredanine pointed out you need an airbrush paint designed for the small head. The easiest solution is to buy Vallejo Model Air paints. You can use them straight from the bottle. Just get the colors you plan to use through the fine brush. They run &#036;2.25 and you can brush paint with them as well so its not a huge investment.

I started with an airbrush and used canned air. For very fine work, like 40k troops, it was so hard to use I almost quit using an airbrush. I thought it was too hard. Then I bought a compressor for my tools, and attached the airbrush to it. I can&#39;t tell you how much better it made my painting. I could control the pressure, and it remained consistent. Some paints are better with higher pressures, and most acrylics are thick (compared to solvent based paints) and work better with higher pressure.

However, if you buy one and then decide you don&#39;t like the airbrush scene you waste a bit more money. All toys get used a lot when you first get them, but many find their way into the back of the closet.

A good compressor (piston, oil-less) at a hardware store with a one or two gallon tank will run less than &#036;100. Look for sales. Compare that to hobby compressors which run three or four times as much. The disadvantage is they are very loud so you have to put them outside and run the hose into the house.

Make a spray booth. A few pieces of plywood, dryer hose, and a vent fan on the end for less than &#036;50. Run the hose out a window and you can spray in the house. I use mine for priming with spray cans as well and it really gets rid of the smell.

I would recommend the Badger 100LG gravity feed brush (this one has a larger bowl, 1/3 oz fixed bowl, which will work out well for large vehicles and terrain). There are three needle, nozzle and spray regulator combinations available which produce three spray patterns: Fine 1/64“ – 2“, Medium 1/32“ – 2.5“, Heavy 1/16 “ – 3“ The Badger 100 is a side feed, but the bowl is much smaller. I use this model for very small detail (shading a marine&#39;s crack....in the armor) The bowl is on the side but is useless-small for vehicles. I have only the fine tip for this brush. I use the LG for the medium and heavy tips.

I know Aztec brushes are good I just don&#39;t have any experience using them so I can&#39;t comment on which models would be good choices. I buy my brushes, hoses, etc from www.dixieart.com You can see the Badger brushes HERE.

Don&#39;t forget you will need a hose and a regulator/moisture trap for your brush. The 1/4" quick release connectors are the same as the ones on tool compressors (for nail guns, etc)

I buy my Vallejo Model Air paints from the WarWeb.Com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright. I know it will be used simply because i have many projects around the house + school projects + hobbying. I also have begun painting other friends armies for a small profit.

I think i have decided on the airbrush model, Iwata HP-C, but I really don&#39;t know anything about compressors or hoses to understand it all. My dad has a 5 gallon compressor in our garage with a 25-30 foot hose but im not sure if it would be too powerful or not. I looked into Badger compressors but whats the difference between the silent compressors and the piston compressors? I see the silent ones are much more expensive. Can i just go to Home depot for a 1 gallon air compressor? And if so what things do i need to make sure are on it? What do you guys think about the Paashe D-200R w/ regulator and moisture trap?

By the way thanks to all for so much help.

Wins/Draws/Losses
    </span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can use your dad&#39;s compressor. The regulator is basically a valve dial with a pressure gage. You put it in line to your brush and can dial whatever pressure you want. You may have to get a longer/extension hose to reach where you want to paint. Most likely your dad&#39;s compressor uses 1/4 quick disconect fittings. You can buy an airbrush hose that has a quick disconnect (male) on one end o plug into the compressor, and and fitting designed for the brand of brush you have. they are not all the same. You should also use an in-line moisture trap. It removes any extra condensed water vapor in the air.

Silent compressors are the same as other compressors, but more invested in parts and motors to make it quiet (not silent no matter what they claim). Don&#39;t bother with a silent compressor unless you really want the compressor in the same room with you. It doesn&#39;t have to be close at all. I use a 30&#39; line and the compressor is out on the back patio. It&#39;s a lot cheaper. I bought my compressor at home depot. Its a Porter Cable with a six gallon tank. Usually it pumps up the tank once and never starts up again during a typical session. An airbrush doesn&#39;t use very much air.

Unless you live in an apartment bulding or paint next to your parent&#39;s room at midnight I can&#39;t stress how much a waste of money a hobby compressor is. Use a typical tool compressor. It doesn&#39;t need anything special as long as you get a regulator and moisture trap to put in line. Plug them into the compressor line from your dad&#39;s compressor, and plug your airbrush hose into that. If you inist on buying a hobby compressor the D200 is a good compressor but a bad choice. With no tank it will be going on and off many times during your painting. The D3000 is a better choice, but also more expensive. You can get the same quality compressor with a big strage tank from Home Depot.

The Iwata HP series is a good choice. The Paasche VSR90 is also a good choice. As a suggestion, go to this page: Airbrushes It breaks down the brushes into categories by use. Any brush under &#39;Illustration&#39; is a good first choice, with &#39;Nail Art&#39; being a close second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once considered getting one when i saw what you could do with one but there just too damn expensive.
    &quot;Everyone should try arrogance, it's absolutely wonderful. You can go out, do whatever you want, and go home. And the best part is, no matter what you do, or how much you ***** everything up, nothing's ever your fault because 'thou art god'.&quot;

-Bernard M. Smith, the <u>real</u> Michael Smith and modern day Petronius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decent airbrush &#036;60
    Hose, regulator, etc &#036;70
    Compressor &#036;90
    Spray Booth &#036;45

About the equivalent of a boxed army and a few heros. Kind of a balance. Do you want a new way to paint or new models to paint? Depends on your budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by WolfRaider@Sep 17 2004, 20:22
    Decent airbrush &#036;60
    Hose, regulator, etc &#036;70
    Compressor &#036;90
    Spray Booth &#036;45

About the equivalent of a boxed army and a few heros.* Kind of a balance.* Do you want a new way to paint or new models to paint?* Depends on your budget.
    [snapback]214702[/snapback]
    The VSR90 is looking like my best choice. I have the compressor and im looking into regulators, hoses, and moisture traps. With the regulalators and moisture traps does it matter if they are from a different brand as the brush? Also what do you mean spray booth? Would a fan and an open window work?

Also can I use GW regular paints with the VSR90? I really didn&#39;t understand what you said above. What about GW Inks?

And again I didn&#39;t understand barely anything about the hoses.... can you explain further?

I greatly appreciate it.

Wins/Draws/Losses
    </span>

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast