Whats missing from my necron army theme? [PIC] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats missing from my necron army theme? [PIC]

Hello everyone!

I feel there is something mising fom my themed necron army. I was going for an ice/cold theme for my necrons. I used red gauss rods because they complimente the blue, and blue rods would have been to much blue on one model i think...comments?

also i was thinking about adding some white to the model. I tried the face..but it felt like "The Mask" (Jim Carrey movie)only white =/

I tried painting the "rib cage" white and it gave the model a sort of flak jacket or vest feel which i didnt like either.

I tried the joints and wrists and shins.everything except the armor plates..and that felt on the right path. Is there anywhere you think the model could use some color and what color do you think would go best there??

Thanks for all your help!
    -Salamander
    IMG_0156.JPGIMG_0157.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

I'd say it needs some contrast. Pick out the joints/fingers a different shade of blue? make them silver? pick out the symbol on its chest?
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your suggesting a different (im assuming lighter) shade of blue..not white. Hmmm interesting. I had not thought of that.

I did another test model and i am stating to think that the white is TOO contrasting and drastic on the eyes....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

I painted my necrons in white (not the greatest paint job, I was trucking them out to get a playable tourney army :-P), with silver joints, and red skulls/feet/hands.

Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I agree with Nhyk, it lacks any contrasting colours. I think you could use some more colour on the chest icon and maybe the joints. Something like gold for these or a brighter colour.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x4)

What if you made the exposed metal bits...er the not armor plate parts a dirty bronze? Like the joints, shins, spine maybe.

I was going to suggest some orange-y browns on the armor plates but I think that would look better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Perhaps yopu could try to paint the shoulder pads black or a darker blue. I think that the othewr comments are correct about the model needing more contrast to it. Picking out some of the details will help too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

As other guys have said, try picking out the symbol on the chest with either a gold or a silver.

For the rest for the model what I think I'd do is darken the joints by applying a coloured wash maybe either purple or red and just keep applying a coat of wash until you get the colour you want. Also maybe a few layers of gloss on the armour plates. The washing might take some time to do but from experience it can get some really nice subtle results.
    Grey Knight WIP Thread <Clicky>

I am the Hammer...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Considering the ice/cold theme silver glyph on the chest and maybe doing even more strong highlights with white and light blue (suggesting frost on the metal surface) would probably do a lot. I don't really suggest going too strong with washes there since the basing is white snow and the idea of strong shadows in snowy environment doesn't feel right.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing i thought was: "It seems to be a little bit flat". As some have mentioned here, contrasting colors would do nicely. And maybe some ice cold carefully picked out sharp highlights?

Some of the GW examples use a tiny bit of mithril on armor and white on other stuff. There really isn't much needed to get a sharp effect. Maybe some very light blue of some sort? Maybe just on the weapons?

As for the paint job itself, it's nicely done. I really like the colors.
    Hit eit steg
    og dit eit steg.
    Så vandrar vi fram på skuleveg.
    - An old viking war chant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast