What do you think I can do to improve my paintjob? *aside from fixing the yellows* - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think I can do to improve my paintjob? *aside from fixing the yellows*

What do you think I can do to make my space marines look a bit better I only have flat colours what do you think I should do to it?

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you are going to get any painting advice until you get better photos. I can't really see anything other than the the blurry outline and a few blobs of muted color. You need better lighting first off, try shooting them outside on a sunny day if you don't have a decent indoor light source. A higher res image would also be helpful. Sorry, not trying to pick on you, but I really can't see anything.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

They are a bit dark, but what i can make out looks better than mine Pyro. Have you looked through the painting logs here ? There are some awesome painters displaying their wares, with detailed explainations of tecniques used.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but what I'd like to know is there an extra step I can put over the blue? My friend says I should wash it but a flat surface like space marine armour wouldn't get a whole lot from a wash. The thing is I don't do any of the following, layering, highlighting, dry-brushing and washing. (except for detailed metallics eg. Aquilla)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other responses were nice about this but since you didn't understand what they said... Your pictures are fuzzy/dark/crap. Without a clear picture nothing can be assessed. To improve the quality of your pictures put more light on your models and also use the MACRO setting on your camera. BTW, if your using a phone to take pictures, ask a friend to barrow their camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x2)

Badmoons

Check out my thread on my badmoons army. I explain how i painted them there and if you need advice on taking pictures, i am a photographer so i can give you any advice you need.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...moon-orks.html (Bo's Badmoon Orks)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is no matter how much light I have on my models all the cameras in my house darken the pictures automatically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

118 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac605 View Post
    The problem is no matter how much light I have on my models all the cameras in my house darken the pictures automatically.
    The Reason for that is simple: your camera has a light mesuring sensor, but it can only see how much light is being reflected into the camera, it can NOT see if you are pointing the camera at a dark object or a bright object or even the sun ... So .. the reason your pictures are dark is probabely because the camera sees a lot of light reflected of that white background and thus thinks "wow thats bright i need to make it a bit darker" ... if you do the oposite and point the camera at my black dog then the camera will over compensate again and my dog will look grey instead of black.

Try to use manual setting on your camera if you have it and then just try until youget the right amount of light for your picture.

The cheapest way to make good pictures is to buy a tripod for your camera, put your camera on manual or appareture mode and choose the highest apareture number you can. The higher the appareture number, the smaller the hole inside the lens will be when the picture is taken and thus: there will be a lot more focus-depth (higher appareture number = more sharpness over a longer area). You need a tripod though because if you do this, there will also be a lot less light going through that small hole and thus the camera will need a lot longer exposure to get enough light for the picture (this can be up to several seconds depending on how much light there is).

Lastly i always advice to take your pictures outside on a cloudy day (clouds break the light up in all directions to get an even lighting across the whole model) and you can never ever create as much light inside as the sun can outside unless you got professional flash lights.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

118 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac605 View Post
    The Reason for that is simple: your camera has a light measuring sensor, but it can only see how much light is being reflected into the camera, it can NOT see if you are pointing the camera at a dark object or a bright object or even the sun ... So .. the reason your pictures are dark is probabely because the camera sees a lot of light reflected of that white background and thus thinks "wow thats bright, i need to make it a bit darker" ... if you do the oposite and point the camera at my black dog for instance, then the camera will over-compensate again and my dog will look grey instead of black.

Try to use manual setting on your camera if you have it and then just try to adjust it until you get the right amount of light for your picture. (you can buy a light meter but that costs atleast 300euro)

The cheapest way to make good pictures is to buy a tripod for your camera, put your camera on manual or appareture mode and choose the highest apareture number you can. The higher the appareture number, the smaller the hole inside the lens will be when the picture is taken and thus: there will be a lot more focus-depth (higher appareture number = more sharpness over a longer area). You need a tripod though because if you do this, there will also be a lot less light going through that small hole and thus the camera will need a lot longer exposure to get enough light for the picture (this can be up to several seconds depending on how much light there is).

Lastly i always advice to take your pictures outside on a cloudy day (clouds break the light up in all directions to get an even lighting across the whole model) and you can never ever create as much light inside as the sun can outside unless you got professional flash lights.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

What I did to start getting better pictures, is created a poor mans backdrop...

I take a sheet of white paper and use it to be the floor and the wall of the picture. I do not crease the paper, but let it bend naturally in the corner.. Sort of like a light filter box. Then I will place the mini half way on the floor, and move my camera back far enough that the macro setting still registers a good quality picture... If it moves closer, the picture is no longer quality and blurs...

I turn off the flash, make sure macro is on. Then use a white light bulb over head. Set the timer on the camera or use a tripod.. This will prevent picture blurring from moving the camera when you press the shutter button.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast