painting questions... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

painting questions...

Hello,
    Im fairly new to 40k and was wondering about the rules pertaining to paint requirements on figures.

From what I have been able to find the only rules I've found require at minimum 4 colors on each figure within your army.

My question is; must ALL figures have the exact same paint scheme? or can I do what I am planning on doing and have a different scheme based on the units type(HQ, Troops, heavy, etc...).

thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no real 'rules' about painting an army. You can technically do what you like. That being said, there's something to be said about consistency and unifying the look of your army.

Keeping in mind that some armies already have different colors/badges/etc based on the unit type. What army are you building?
    My Blog

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a tau army, but i dislike most of the different "sept" colors. save for bork'an but it seems like everyone already uses a variation on it, I also wanted to just try something different by painting the unit by role rather than the army's color scheme.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Generally people tend to use:
    Table Standard: Three colours over an undercoat.
    Cabinet Standard: Usually averages to around twelve colours.

Most Tournaments will expect Table Standard for any army you use and most people expect SOME form of unity and coherency within an army, Most people will pick a basic colour that is an undertone, basecoat or marking across all units if they want to experiment more with colour, consistancy and range of techniques within a singular army.

The more you limit your palette, the more unified your army will look, even if it's a selection of three basic colours and four detail colours that you can mix, match and contrast against one another the unity is more obvious than if you use a completely different set of colours in each particular unit.

The human brain is designed to deal with three colours at any one time, looking over a force of differently coloured units can mean that examining the force as a whole takes longer without absorbing as much detail and also appears fractured.

Overall though, as long as you enjoy your hobby it is beyond being a serious matter
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the tips.

Dont worry Im NOT doing a circus consept...

Ive chosen a base and 2 colors that will be on all models, its their main color that will distinguish it's role in my army as opposed to a base color scheme spread out amongst my army.
    When I finish you will be able to tell at a distance what everything is without asking(role wise)
    Last edited by Blood Seriph; July 6th, 2010 at 04:34.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Seriph View Post
    thanks for the tips.
    Ive chosen a base and 2 colors that will be on all models, its their main color that will distinguish it's role in my army as opposed to a base color scheme spread out amongst my army.
    When I finish you will be able to tell at a distance what everything is without asking(role wise)
    Cool idea! If you are concerned about a 'requirement' then ask your local tournament organizers. Better yet, paint one up real nice and show it to them "Is this okay?"
    I live in San Diego, CA and I don't believe any of our stores actually require all models be painted.

The '3+' color rule...So UltraMarines with white emblem decal and black bolters...If painted well who cares!
    I think the main reason is to promote actual painting instead of just a bunch of spray primed models. I run tournaments and and long as the army is mostly painted (at least color coat and the base painted a different color) then I'll allow it.

I do run 400pt Combat Patrol events with a little stricter painting requirement, but this is mostly just incentive to get painting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

my understanding is that at minimum, you are required to have three colors. There needs to be a unifying theme to the layout of the army.. Something that ties them all together.

You can have a different paint scheme for the different types of squads, but as I said, they have to be recognizable as being part of the whole of the rest of the squads..

Take for instance Black Templars. Sword Brethren have Black shoulderpads with red trim, and red cross. Assault have a white shoulderpad with red trim and a black cross. And normal troops have a white shoulderpad with black trim and black cross.

All the troops have a unifying geature in that the armor is black, but the shoulderpads identify the role of the marine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an example of what I am aiming for with my painting, be kind I haven't painted since grade school and I don't have the how to paint book yet...

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...2-hni-0002.JPG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...6-hni-0004.JPG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...9-hni-0003.JPG

HQ: Blue/White
    Elite: Green/White
    Troop: Red/Black
    Fast: Orange/White
    Heavy: Black/White
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Shiny! Too shiny. Big areas of white or metal without any shading make these guys look like they just stepped off the showroom floor.

Think of a white car. Does it stay dazzlingly white? Nah, by the time you get it home it's got some dirt on it, and that dulls the finish a little. And these guys aren't driving a car on the road, they're humping through forests and swamps, venting exhaust plumes, and putting holes in things that don't bleed so much as ooze ichor. You'd expect some dings...

For the other colors, you'll see a lot more definition if you take some time and wash them down (the color washes aren't bad, Devlan Mud is fantastic for dirty areas, and some Badab Black near exhaust vents, firing ports, etc.) But if you have white and you wash it, it's going to be a very dirty white afterward, even in the areas without a lot of shading.

Usually I see people recommending shading white with either gray or blue (depending on whether you want a "warm" or "cool" look), but I've never done it myself (orks, dontcha know...)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah it does look a little too shiny. For RP purposes they are new having just come from the factory, as I gain more experience and play some more (maybe after learning to paint a bit better) I'll add dirt, dings, and battle scuffs and the like. For now they're new, off the assembly line and have yet to know the riggers of battle...
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast