Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I haven’t seen too many posts regarding magnetizing the new Fire Prism/Night Spinner model, so I decided to do one up.
I believe most people are simply magnetizing the guns and gluing one of the cowling sets in place. I really like the different cowlings and wanted to find a way to swap them out.
So here is my result and how I did it!
I used rare earth magnets I bought online: 1/16” cubes and 1/4”x1/16” discs.
The cubes can be a little tricky and getting them aligned is very important. I split them up into pairs and marked them with a pen as shown. This way I can be sure that I’m gluing them in place properly with the marked ends touching.
Next I glued them (one pair at a time) to the turret and each cowling as shown. This took some patience as it’s important to line the cubes up properly and ensure they are orientated correctly. Be sure to let to one cube fully dry before attaching the one next to it, or they will come off and stick to the other magnet.
Once that was done I glued the large discs to the actual mounts. The mounts aren’t totally flat, so I glued the magnets towards the bottom half. I attached the top pieces that were for the Doom Weavers.
Here’s what the assembled turret looked like at that point.
Now for the Prism Cannon. As these parts have a top mount molded on, I had to trim that off. Also taking into account the added length of the magnets, I trimmed this down (see pics). It took some time and patience to ensure the ends were truly flat and even. Otherwise the barrel would look a little crooked when attached.
And the DoomWeaver. I simply cut off the nub and attached the magnet as shown (centering the magnet where the nub was). While this does cause the weapon to stick out a bit farther than normal, I think it looks fine and even adds a little length which I like.
Finally, here’s the completed turret with both weapon options. Again, both cowlings and weapons are fully magnetized and easily swapped. On a side note, the guns can still be elevated as I did not glue the mount in place.
I hope this helps. I will, of course also magnetize the turret to the hull so it can be removed and easily transported (and swapped out with a Falcon turret).
Kudos for your hard work. Can't rep you again yet. Remind me later :-)
Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
Grey knights - 1000 Points
curious how sturdy the long prism arm is tho. I thought about magnetising it, but figured the sheer length of it would mean that any time i moved the model or the turret it was somewhat likely to fall off. Looking at ways of pinning mine at the moment.
heh if you shook it due to my post, i'm glad it stayed on! i don't want the blame for that one if it came off.
may well look at the magnet option again then. cheers
Great write up mate. Thanks for that, looks good, might have to order some larger magnets and give it a shot when i get round to buying the new kit.
I bought some additional Fire Prism Cannons on eBay and wanted to convert a Falcon I had.
I also had the original Fire Prism Cannon metal mount I got in a bits box buy.
I bought the Falcon Type II kit from Forgeworld (though the hull extension is not in these photos). Overall, I think it will look great and be nice against my other 2 'new' Fire Prisms.
btw, this is obviously only undercoated and will be painted Biel Tan (see my WIP painting thread:
And the Prism Cannon. Both the Cannon and 'other part' that goes on the left side are magnetized. This way I can swap out and make this a Falcon if need be. The crystal was painted (on the inside) with Tamiya Smoke to darken it up a bit.
I cut off the front of a Falcon Scatter laser and simply attached the Fire Prism part.
Overall a very easy and fun conversion. I will be doing another one, but using the main housing from a Doom Weaver Support Weapon (the huge metal one) to mount the cannon onto. The Cannon bits cost me around $10 USD from eBay. So a cheap conversion to swap out Falcons if need be.
Someone in another thread pointed me to a different method for placing the magnets.
I did my second one this way (been trying to upload the photos all night, but alas in seems LO is not uploading atm).
Anyway, here's a link the the site:
After doing both, I have to say I much prefer my method.
Mine takes a little longer due to some of the cutting and alignment of the small square magnets, but it is much stronger. I did find it easier to line up the actual barrels to the internal housing.
Just thought I'd add the update.
At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!
Been wondering about doing this. Rep!
Brokendoll Miniature Painting - (Coming Soon)
Muse2k8's Painting Antics (WIP and Finished Models thread)