Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
First and foremost I am BRAND NEW to the hobby of war-game modeling, I actually had no intention of mod-ing anything for awhile due to be afraid of ruining any of my models. I purchased the Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines mega force recently and was upset to find that in the box I got a lot of pieces that are going to require at least basic modification (removing weapon handles to mount them to the model).
So, deciding that I might as well jump right into the hobby two feet and not look back I started assembling models. The first unit I assembled was the Scout Squad which came with 5 Scouts. Now 4 of them were easy to get the way I wanted. I added some decorative stones to the 28mm bases in order to make them look as though they were hiding behind stones, kneeling on them, etc. The 5th is the real questionable unit. Points wise a Scout Squad containing at least 4 members may field one with a missile launcher, and the mega force provided the top half of both a missile launcher scout as well as a sniper scout and last but not least a spare sniper rifle. What I am wondering is if I set a stone on the base, position the Scout with missile launcher equipped behind the decorative stone but place the sniper rifle on the base as being propped against the stone can I legally field the unit as if having one OR the other weapon equipped? I know that since the codex is worded that it replaces the sniper rifle I can't have both in the same game, but I'm wondering if I need to mod the Scout with a magnet in the chest and legs to swap out weapons.
So, long story short, is it legal to field a unit in this way or should I refrain from ruining my Scout for WYSISWYG game play?
Welcome to LO, nice that you are getting straight into customising your figures. The missile launcher scout behind a rock with a sniper rifle propped against it sounds like it would look good, but would it be realistic ? They are both hefty weapons for one guy to be humping around. Gamewise, if someone wants to be RAW ( rules as written ) accurate you could not claim the scout using the sniper rifle, as per WYSIWYG. Playing with mates would be different, most people would cut you some slack - i would.
If it were me, i think i'd replace the sniper rifle with a combat blade, or place some missiles on top of the stone. The missile launcher is a good weapon in your scout squad, you probably wont need to field the unit without it.
Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.
Hello, welcome to the forum and the hobby in general. While technically, a Scout may not be armed with both a Sniper Rifle and Missile Launcher, there is nothing stopping you from adding one to the model for decorative purposes. 99% of players will naturally assume that since the model has a Missile Launcher equipped, that is selected weapon (as it replaces sniper rifles in the rules). For the remaining 1%, just be clear and explain it to them.
Almost everyone in this hobby will add embellishments and decorations to models like this. You'll often find Space Marine models with additional knives, pistols and so forth. It's never, ever been an issue for me.
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I can do this as a decorative mod but that the WYSIWYG rules would prevent the model from being fielded with the alternate weapon. I will likely place an additional rack of missiles on the stone and just purchase a legs sprue from the war store and create an alternate model with the other torso and weapon.
Next question, is there a good guide for figure modification for a beginner? I've watched the minitaure mentor series on the art of painting and I'm already finding my painting is looking better, so it would be great to find a guide or tutorial of equivalent use for modification.