Khaos1ord's Warhound Build, Advice and Critique Welcome! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Khaos1ord's Warhound Build, Advice and Critique Welcome!

A couple of friends came over today to paint some Black Reach models and I let them use my painting station. I sat and talked, but wanted something to do to keep my hands busy so I thought it was the perfect time to try my hand at scratch building. Of course I didn't want to start the logical way, like making a Rhino or something, but had to jump right into a Titan. I acquired some instructions and printed out the templates. At first I was blown away by all the pages coming out of the printer, but after looking over it, it seemed manageable.

I was going to use cardboard, but I found some left over foamcore that is roughly a quarter inch thick. Its too thick to use as the plans said so I just stacked it together and glued it then shaved the correct shape out with a modeling knife. I then wrapped the edges with masking tape to smooth the edges.

I ended up finishing both feet's main frame and my first thought is that they are huge!!! I didn't realize this thing was so big!

So, here is a question for you guys. What do you think about using the foam core to build the rough structure and then going over that with something like Bondo and then sanding it all down smooth? I've worked with bondo before and it is cheap and easy to work with. My second idea is to just keep it as smooth as I can and coat the whole thing with many layers of Elmer's glue to build up a nice smooth coating.

My last idea is pretty out there and I don't know if it would work, but if it did it would be awesome. Make the pieces out of the foamcore and then dip them in fiberglass resin and let it harden. This would give it a very durable coating which could be sanded and I could still use bondo to get details.

What do you think?

Last edited by khaos1ord; July 23rd, 2010 at 08:02.

Princept Milligan of the Legio Tempestus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Lol, no experience with titan building, bondo or Elmer's glue used in this fashion, but thought I'd throw in my two cents. I'd say try both on small pieces of foam board, as tests. It will help you see the results and pitfalls of each approach.

The pieces of advice I think of right away are that with the-bondo/sanding approach, it'd be better to do the sanding on each component independently as you build, assembling after, so you don't get any areas that are tough to get into. Does bondo behave anything like sandable wood-filler? Because I've used that on foam board and it was pretty difficult to get a really nice smooth area.

With the Elmer's approach, are you talking painting it on over successive layers or just kind of letting it pool up on flat surfaces and leaving it to dry? If the latter, you'd have to do each flat area independently, face-up to allow it to pool up without dripping and getting everywhere! (even may be the case with painting it on).

Either way, these are both really interesting ideas that I'd like to see in action, but both also seem like they'd be pretty time consuming. How about getting some really thin plasticard to finish off all the foam?

On an unrelated note, where in IL are ya? I'm in either Springfield or Champaign, depending on whether I'm home or at school.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I'm in southern IL right now, but am moving to champaign when school starts. I'm guessing you go to UofI? I am starting my first year of grad school there this fall.

I'm going to work on it a bit more today and will hopefully post some pictures. I think I have some resin left over from an old project I could test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Hey that's awesome re: U of I! Monday night is 40k/Fantasy night at The Dragon's Table, the local game store here. I was going to school but am not enrolled for the Fall and may be finishing up my degree at UIS in Springfield next year; not really sure at the moment.

Back on topic, sounds cool. I'd like see what works out best for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I did a little bit of research and found that fiberglass resin may be the way to go. It is actually polyester resin which can be thinned with acetone. This will allow me to dip the pieces into a bucket to give them a good coating. This is the same stuff that is used to finish stuff such as table tops, steering wheels, etc. I think it will hold up fine and even provide structural support. The best part is, I don't think it will take that much time compared to making it out of plasticcard and it should have a perfectly smooth finish.

I will make the parts and then attach them to a clothes hanger. I will dip the part and let it dry. Then I will cut the clothes hanger off and sand the resin slightly where it connected. Any drips will need to be sanded, but I don't see that being too bad.

I found some resin today from an old project and I have acetone on hand, I just need to pick up some hardener before giving it a go on the feet. I'll keep everyone updated.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    424 (x7)

You might want to take a look at this thread, I have done most of the building research and have many tips to help you with your project.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...und-titan.html

Blackadder
    Last edited by The_Blackadder; July 24th, 2010 at 12:30.
    "It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I was reading through your thread last night. Your build is wonderful, and I doubt mine will be anywhere near that detailed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I applied some resin today and took pictures, but left the camera at the studio so I'll have to post those tomorrow. The resin went on easily and once I thinned it, it was easy to apply into all the nooks and crannies. I may apply another coat to build it up a little bit more before sanding it. I think this might work out.

+ Reply to Thread