Hockey players - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hockey players

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Hockey players

Hey guys,

I'm taking a short break from WoC modelling and want to do something a bit lighter. So my gf convinced me to build two teams of ice hockey players for our card game that we have, along with a rink (which i shall post about in the scenery section).

I came across this guy on the interwebs:
    HockeyPlayer1.jpg

So while the player model is nice, the stick certainly isn't very realistic - the blade is weird and the shaft looks rounded when it should have 4 sides. Also, I don't want them all to look the same, as that would be pretty boring.

So i had a look and found these:
    hfl007.jpg

But i'm stumped as to what to do for the actual player parts - and don't even get me started on the goalies...

greenstuff is certainly not my strong point. I can fill in a gap on an arm or something, but I have no-where near the skill required to sculpt anything at all. Which means its going to need to be primarily plastic components going together, using pieces that are sculpted to look like clothing - And what would I do about the skates??

Would it be better to simply purchase 10 of the hockey player models, then repose the arms and exchange the sticks for those from the pack of 5?

(can you tell i'm confused and stressed? hehe)

Any help with this would be well appreciated and repped heavily Any info on additional existing models i've missed and anything to do with the goalie models would be terrific.

cheers.

'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

The hockey player for some reason reminded me of a Tau Firewarrior - maybe it was the circle on his chest or something. Would you be able to convert those to be your stick-wielding maniacs - provided of course you don't mind them having hooves and only three fingers? You can probably use human heads with them if you want, you might even be able to find some helmeted ones that might look better for ice hockey players.

You could just use a whole bunch of the Tau shoulderpads for a goalie - cover the arms and legs as best you can. I imagine skates could be made from a bit of trimmed down leftover sprue or something.

On the greenstuff issue, the only way to get better at it is to use it a whole lot more. I've progressed from gap-filling to making small accessories out of greenstuff that more or less look like they're supposed to, so it is possible to improve! You know about the 'keep your greenstuffing tools wet' thing?

Good luck with the team!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    221 (x4)

you could use only the tau torso and guardsmen limbs and heads.
    My ToP - raven gaurd <- cliky
    Raven Guard W/13 D/7 L/5

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

I like the IG cadian arms... unfortunately they all wear flak jackets or whatever that armour is called... not exactly like a hockey jersey!
    I'm going to have a go at green stuffing a jersey onto a fantasy orc that i don't need - any tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

The best I can say is good luck. I think it would be awesome to have your bruisers on Ork bodies, and your snipers on Elf Bodies - but man its going to take a lot of filing and greenstuff. The best thing to do is to give yourself a lot of time and use all your patience. Greenstuff is a huge step into the converting world.

I don't recommend trying to make things 'look like' hockey players. Sure, Cadians might kind of 'look like' hockey players, and Tau may have the same 'kind of' padding, but honestly if this was my project, I'd go all out or not at all. Its obviously your call - but thats my opinion.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Well i had a go on a kroot... and i'm not going to lie... that was even worse than i was expecting! Its still curing, but he's now essentially got a vest with weird crimping on it - i was trying to make folds in the greenstuff to simulate a hockey jersey (was even following a tutorial) and its come out so bad... And i ended up with a large blob of unused greenstuff at the end too which was annoying - so I attached a bit of sprue to a chaos warrior and twisted greenstuff around it to make like a forked twisted posessed tentacle, going to use him as a standard bearer is he comes out okay!

But as the the hockey players - I really liked STUG's idea of orks for the enforcers and more slender races for the finess players, however i'm way way out of my depth here so unfortunately i'm going to have to give up on this method

I found these online last night: Hockey Guys - Toy Figurine Set on eBay (end time 26-Aug-10 21:282 BST)
    Basically a box including two teams of hockey players including goalies, and also a playing surface, goals and side walls.

Because this project was a bit too pie in the sky for me I'm going to have to call it a day and plump for these hockey guys and just repaint their (horrible!) colours and add decals to be more realistic.

Does anyone know how to make decals? I heard something about needing special paper etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    273 (x3)

Start with Blood Bowl minis. Impact has good stuff too.
    Lots of good stating points to work with. I know there are several home brews for Hockey Blood Bowl rules.

Whats the game you play?

-J

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Tweaker View Post
    Start with Blood Bowl minis. Impact has good stuff too.
    Lots of good stating points to work with. I know there are several home brews for Hockey Blood Bowl rules.

Whats the game you play?

-J
    I had a good look through the bloodbowl section of GW's site, and through all the elfball and fantasy football miniatures from every manufacturer I could find - unfortunately because they're so strongly fantasy nearly everything would require extensive sculpting to look remotely like a human hockey player, and I just don't have the skill to pull it off at all.

We're going to be playing using a new card based system that we've developed - the players aren't neccessary but are a nice addition to make it easier to keep track of where on the field the players and puck are/is.

So its basically a choice between 10 of those hockey players from impact miniatures, replacing the sticks with the nice ones (which i can do) and building 2 goalies (which i can't).... OR... just getting that box of not so greatly sculpted hockey guys and repainting them? What do you guys think? and about the decals?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I know nothing of decals. I have heard dark rumours of decal paper and shady rituals that will allow you to print on such a blasphemous surface, but I have no substantiating evidence to support such fearful words.

Any local hobby/scale modelling shops in the area? They'd likely have some idea of what you're after.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadstar_MRC View Post
    I know nothing of decals. I have heard dark rumours of decal paper and shady rituals that will allow you to print on such a blasphemous surface, but I have no substantiating evidence to support such fearful words.

Any local hobby/scale modelling shops in the area? They'd likely have some idea of what you're after.
    Sounds like you know exactly the same amount about decal printing as me... a rough outline but not how to do it! :-P I would ask at the GW... but... they might not be so inclined to help seeing as they make no money from it and i'm not using them on GW products! Reckon i should phone the local printers? They'd probably know about this kind of stuff right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast