Polystyrene - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polystyrene

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking at stuff to make scenery with but I cant choose which stuff to use. Theres a bunch of stuff but I've seen Polystyrene the most so I'll probly use polystyrene or if you guys can recommend some other stuff thats better please do. Now to the topic I wondering is that any hazards I should be aware if I'm useing polystryene or other stuff like polystyrene because my dad says some instalation crap and other stuff has bit of glass in it so I'm wondering if polystyrene does.

Me and my dad are going to home depot in a hour or so to get stuff so some quick awnsers would be nice.

EDIT: O Im taking alook at masonite, is it anygood?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

If you mean expanded polystyrene then beware of fumes if you use any solvents or spraypaint on it.

This is the white (usually), rigid very very light stuff. It can be melted with gasolene and various other solvents, which can be interesting, but the fumes released are bad news in an enclosed environment. And of course, very very inflammable - in fact one way of making Napalm is to disolve Expanded Polystyrene in Petrol/ Gas.

So take it easy. And dont cut it indoors as the little white balls it makes are swines to pick up! Use a heat wire from GW if you can.

Your Dad may be thinking of Glass Fibre type loft insulation. I doubt you will find any Expanded Polystyrene with glass or anything similar incorporated into it.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is expended polystrene fine?

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhamm...herdstone/1.htm

That stuff is what im gonna buy.

Remember other suggestions would be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Thats basically the same stuff, but of a finer texture.

As I say, be careful of using solvents (like GW plastic glue) on it.

You can also buy it in very thin sheets but with cardboard on either side of it like a sandwich. This is ideal for making model buildings. I suppose the most likely place to sell this would be a model / hobby shop.

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K ty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I f you are wantng to make something a little more durable and long lasting (permanent) got to any local hobby story and get some latex mold maker and some poly-resin. I made/am making my city scape for battlezone out of it. Basically I used the paper backed foam baord and covered it in the latex, when it dried I peeled the latex off and poured in the resin. It looks cool so far. This is a bit more expensive and made for permanent peices that you plan on keeping around for awhile.

Foamboard (runs about 1.00$ a for a 24 X 36 ih piece at Michaels) works great too for buildings and such. Also the green stuff, used in making fake potted plants is good, it makes a mess but cleans up easy and with some ModgePodge looks sweet. I these it the most, but I wanted a permanent terrain board for Cityfight.
    "In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen"

Chaplain Alucard Hellsing of the Ravenguard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok ty. I bought some polystyrene yesterday and made my self a brick wall WOOOOOOOT! but what I want to know is in 40k do they ever stumble onto Warhammer Fantasy ruins because I want buildings that are authentic for both games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Warhammer fantasy is set in the same time as 40k, just in a different part of the galaxy. So they could stumble on CURRENT fantasy formations, as in the small story in the chaos codex.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantasy ruins work fine for 40k settings. It sort of reminds me of WW II tanks and troops rolling through medieval European cities. Blown up buildings look pretty much the same regardless of the time frame. Here's a couple of Chaos army units in front of Mordheim buildings. (Just the 'el cheepo' cardboard buildings from the boxed sets)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok ty you and just so you know wolf you are the best painter ever.

Now some other things is can you guys give me some tips on painting terrain.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast