A Most Interesting Proposal - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Most Interesting Proposal

Hey all,

I haven't posted here in years, but I felt that this project could use some advice from the modeling gurus here. So, thanks in advance for the help.

I'm doing an undergraduate research project for my college. I am monitoring deposition of sediments on tidal flats. To do so, I have to leave five tiles (porcelain, smooth) about 14" across flush against the mud flat for a tidal cycle. The tide comes in, goes out, and I go out and gather data (thickness, layers, etc) from the tile.

Now, it is important to this project that the deposition on the tile model what is actually happening on the mud flats. There is a problem, because the surface of the tile is very dissimilar to mud. The deposition might be different (the particles might just slide off).

So, I was thinking that I would texture the surfaces of the tiles with mud, similar to making a game table surface (flock, snow, sand, etc). My professor supports this undertaking. He has never done anything like this, but apparently the idea of trying to glue mud to the tiles has been tossed around, but never successfully.

-----

My current plan is to dry some mud from the actual mud flat (it is a very fine grained clay) and use glue to affix it to the surface of the tile. I know the technique behind this (I've made several successful game boards), so I'm looking for advice regarding glue and pre-flocked surface features.

I'm thinking:

-Dry the mud.
    -Rough up the surface of the tile (how much scoring should I do. Big trenches and sand paper. Even crosshatching? What has worked? I'm trying to avoid forming a layer that will just peel or splinter off).
    -Glue on dried mud (using watered down? glue.)
    --apply glue w/paintbrush (again, I've got that part down).

Remember, these tiles need to survive (relatively) being submerged in salty water for a 12 hour period, and constant current flow.

So, what kind of glues should I use? Obviously, it should be waterproof. Would Gorilla Glue be recommended? Can I water gorilla glue down for ease of application?
    Should I include a space marine shoulder pad to confuse my professor?
    How many layers should I go for? Should I glue small plastic retaining walls to the sides (flush with the top layer, though), so the mud has a boundary, and won't shift off sideways?

Thanks for the help,
    -LBM

Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

Sounds interesting. When you say 'tile' am I thinking ceramic or plastic? Obviously glue and glazed ceramic just won't work. Definatly give the tile some tooth for the glue to adhere too, the rougher the better.

Can't suggest a particular brand but I'd get down the local diy shop and see what they have that is designed to work outside. You may well end up with a two part epoxy. Bostik do some serious glues so maybe they would have something.

Don't do the shoulder pad, model a king on a throne with one hand out towards the sea. See if he gets it! ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideally the tile would be ceramic. Plastic might just float away.

I'll check out Bostik. I don't know how many DIY stores are in this area. It warrants further investigation.

Hehe, I like the king and throne idea. If I had the time...

Thanks for the help!
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

+ Reply to Thread