Paint stripping cursed by chaos!! Need help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paint stripping cursed by chaos!! Need help!

Hey all,

I need some help with stripping paint, it seems my every effort has been hampered by some dastardly plan of the chaos gods.

Yes I know there are tutorials in this forum and I am going to browse them now, but I figured I'd post first because I have tried a host of different products already that have been said to be effective.

I cant possibly explain why they arent working. I know black primer is quite difficult to get rid of but it doesn't explain my wild results.

Firstly I tested simple green, a space marine test model with black primer and one coat of GW paint on top went to soak in some "concentrated" simple green. I only got about 3% paint stripped after heavy scrubbing, small amounts of paint on some edges of the armour, I tried srubbing after 12 hours, 24 hours, and after the level of simple green in my cup actually dropped to less than it started with, about a week, completely ineffective.

Secondly came the easy off over cleaner, my first test model, which actually had 2 layers of black primer and GW coats inbetween, seemed to offer some hope, about 40% of the paint came completely off (to the plastic) after I completely covered them in the oven cleaner foam and left them for 5 hours. Reassured that there was no damage to the plastic I sprayed up a main batch of models, multiple times, and scrubbed them, multiple times, once at 4 hours, once at 8, once at 12 hours (under running hot water). I saw only small portions of the GW paint come off under heavy scrubbing (black primer was completely unaffected). Now maybe this paint was older then my test model, but these results make no sense, and either way seemed way too hard for an effective stripping (heh).

After this, I decided, brake fluid! I was told that it was all pretty much the same, so grabbed a small pot for testing labelled "heavy duty dot 4" (if that matters at all).
    My test model is still soaking in it now, its been about 18 hours, heavy scrubbing removes small amounts of paint from some edges, but its pretty much unaffected, no plastic is damaged. From what I heard of brake fliud its supposed to eat my plastic, well hell, it doesnt even eat my paint so far.

So there you have it, 3 methods that the internet and other hobbyists have told me work, do nothing for me, I'm completely baffled. From what I've been told, these methods and products should of caused the paint to be reasily removed with a tooth brush! (I'm using a brush with harder bristles atm) And its HARDLY affecting my paint!

I plan to try some Pine Sol (which i cant find here, unless its called Pin Sol) and dettol ( only heard about UK dettol though, not sure how effective the stuff I get from where I live will be). I would try Castrol Super Clean (Now just super clean, so I've heard) but I dont think I can even get it here, and maybe I'm using the wrong type of brake fluid? >.>

I live in Australia btw, can anyone tell me a method that they know for sure works for them? Or what I'm doing wrong... It's very fustrating.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having this issue as well, and I'm 99% sure it's the GW undercoat. I've left models that have ONLY a GW Chaos Black spray undercoat in Simple Green for a whole month, and NOTHING came off. Plastic, metal, doesn't matter. Chaos Black paint is a different story, it comes off easy. Trust me bro, you aren't doing anything wrong.

Also, the brush you're using helps as well. You've got the right idea with hard bristles. Since you're also in Australia, look for Colgate Wisp mini-brushes. The bristles are tough, the other end has a pick that can be used to scrape out paint from small cracks, and it's quite small, allowing you to get in between the gaps that you WILL come across.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, so unfortunately I'm not the only one.

I accepted that the primer would be hard to get rid off, I figured I could just strip down to the primer, accept it and just prime white over it, even though multiple layers usually degrade the look of the paint over it...

I have been lead to believe by all the guides and posts on paint stripping that these products would have no problem removing the paint, and its not just the black primer, but when I have used these same products the other GW paints over the primer refused to be affected.

My first attempt at easy off oven cleaner removed 35% of TWO layers of black primer and the coats inbetween right to the plastic, I havn't been able to reproduce this effect at all, the ultramarines blue over most of the miniatures proves damn resilient.

Its just, I'd like to hear from those who have had success stripping GW paints, what kind of results are you looking for, and what do you do that you know works? All the guides on the subject are relatively the same and quite simple, so I cant believe that I'm doing something wrong, everything seems to do less, so I'm tempted to get some acetone and soak my plastic in that, if brake fluid doesn't eat paint like I've been told it has, chances are the acetone wont eat my plastic after all...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Castrol Super Clean. It's in a big purple bottle found in the automotive section at WalMart. I soaked the pieces overnight and scrubbed with a toothbrush. It removed 99% of paint and primer, metal and plastic. Use gloves and don't breath it in.
    5th Sisters of Battle: 10-5-12 (W-L-T)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well heres the thing melvin, I live in australia, and I dont see any Walmarts around here...
    I dont know if I can get castral super clean in aus, I've been looking...

However, I just got some models out of a cup of dettol...omg guys, under running water all the paint (except black primer) instantly comes over, under scrubbing some of the primer was removed to the plastic, but was mostly thinned out.

I put the models back in, I'll see if by leaving it longer I can remove the primer, all my brushes are covered in black paint

I shall be using dettol, while searching for castrol super clean. Shame on the other products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice you mentioned water. At no point should you be getting water on the models before the paint has all come off. Water will cause the paint to re-harden.
    Oroto ego sum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not when it's being used to dilute industrial stength degreaser. I stipped about 50 plastic and metal models about 3 years ago. Worked like a charm.
    5th Sisters of Battle: 10-5-12 (W-L-T)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought about the water, but the tutorials said to use hot running water to remove the paint after using these products..

When I soaked for about 24 hours in dettol, the paint came running off under running water, just like that. The black primer is harder though.. I see it coming off, but by this point my brushes are stained black.. everything.. is stained black... it pretty much repaints itself if I use one brush on multiple models...

I dont know where to get Super clean in aus, even more so in W.A.

I dont see getting the black primer off, so I may just spray white primer over it, dont think its going to kill detail or make the paint layers uneven?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well in my experience water is not a good idea. It might be okay with some washing up liquid in but otherwise it's best to no use it.
    I use dettol and manage to get anything inclduing primer off after a couple of days of soaking.

I reckon you should at least try it without the water.
    Oroto ego sum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ok so you get the black primer off then? I will certainly try it without water. You just use a brush and scrub the paint off right?

At the moment all my brushes and my gloves are stained in black paint so uh.. gonna need to get more of that lol. On that note do you have the same problem with the primer staining everything it touches? >.>

I was going to just try using oven cleaner to remove the primer which I have seen it do before.. again just need new brushes >.<

thanks for telling me that though lets hope using no water works out! cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast