Nurgle Paint Scheme - Brainstorming - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nurgle Paint Scheme - Brainstorming

I am currently creating a Nurgle army for Warriors of Chaos. I've painted one unit of Warriors, but I'm not sure I am entirely happy with the results.

I've used Boltgun Metal on the armour and chainmail, Bleached Bone on the horns, Knarloc Green on the cape, boots, and belts, and Dark Flesh for the 'fur' on the cape. I then washed the model (excluding boots and cape) with Brown Ink, and then with a Thraka Green Wash.

I then highlighted the areas done with Knarloc Green with Camo Green, and dry-brushed the Boltgun area very lightly with boltgun, then with a very (very) light blood red and bestial brown to give it a flatter look. Then I dry-brushed the Dark Flesh on the cloak fur with Bleached Bone to give it a rotting look.

Now, the overall appearance I am happy with, but it doesn't look as Nurgley as I would like - I've found some schemes that I like the look of, but the internet can give me a bit of infomation overload at times, so I thought it would be best to ask here.

What colours would you recommend? Washes, inks, and the likes.

One of the schemes I debated was one that was largely Knarloc Green highlighted with Camo Green, and I may well use it - Thoughts?

P.S - Sorry for the lack of any photos, but the camera I would use it out of action.

Help appreicated!

Warriors of Chaos (Nurgle) - Warhammer Fantasy Battles

"Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

without seeing your minis, I can only say that the colors you have chosen seem appropriate. The problem that you will have with a nurgle army is that colors alone will not fully convey NURGLE. You almost require greenstuff just to add pustules, and rotting flesh bursting out of the armor.

Now, simple pustules on the mass of your troops will sufice, You only need the extra touches on commanders and the such. Those that will have received more of the blessings of Nurgle.

Now, I still haven't tried working with Greenstuff, but there are plenty of tutorials on converting Chaos to Nurgle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green stuff is something that I'm definetly going to need to practice with, and you're right, it's hard for a colour scheme to actually convey Nurglishness.
    Warriors of Chaos (Nurgle) - Warhammer Fantasy Battles

"Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of greens. Base with Dark angels green, then goblin or camo green, then a knarloc green wash, and a snot green hightlight. Use bronze metallics for rust. But on top of all that, make them look physically repulsive with GS.
    Current Armies: Tau, Dark Angels, Wood Elves, Bretonnians
    Side Projects: Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, High Elves, The Empire

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Don't overload them with green or they will look like plant-people. Often Nurgle looks good with greys and browns. Try using brown ink on them, that works well on decayed things. The ink will help to make the armour look more rusted and worn. It will also fill in gaps and make the look more dirty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    692 (x8)

One thing that your color scheme looks like it is lacking is a good strong rust color.

You can do this a number of different ways, from a tiny amount of rust at the handles of weapons to armor plates that are mostly rust with a few streaks of mithril silver shining through from where the rust was scratched off.

+ Reply to Thread