Brainstorming for a Dwarven Ruin board - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brainstorming for a Dwarven Ruin board

I'm considering constructing a custom board for a skaven force and the main idea that keeps coming back to me is an overrun dwarven delve. I've thought about it for a while and I think that's what I'm going to go with. Right now I'm in the brainstorming stage and I'm collecting ideas for how to proceed.

I thought about whether I should make this gaming board as one piece or as a collection of terrain pieces and I think that simply for ease of transport and storage I'm going to go with the latter option. I'm going to take a 6x4 board but instead of covering it with felt or painting it green I'm going to cover it with some easily carved material to give it a tiled floor and then cover it with dirt/sand to give it an unkempt appearance.

So here's why I made the thread: This is my first time constructing terrain and I'd appreciate some tips.
    1.) What material do you think I should use for the tiled floor? I'm not going to actually cut the material into squares and attach them one by one- rather I want to affix the material first and then etch lines into it.
    2.) I'd appreciate some ideas for dwarfy things that I could use as terrain pieces (they'll replaces the hills, trees and buildings that you'd find on most gaming boards).
    3.) I'd appreciate some ideas for ways to make things look ruined. I checked out the sticky in this forum but all the threads that it linked to had broken image links and I figure it'd be easier to replicate something if I can see it.
    4.) I'd appreciate ideas on how to skaven-up the board. I'm thinking one of the pieces could be a skaven mining well drilling right through the floor of the delve.

Thanks again. When I get started I'll be sure to post pictures so you can track my progress. I'll probably be back for more tips at that point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there! I started doing some scenery, a Dwarven Ziggurat, so here's some advice:
    1) I used Styrofoam (or whatsitsname) and drawn a grid for tiles and cut it along the lines with a scalpel. To achieve a weathered appearance, just shake the scalper with mediocre violence after each cut, it will separate the tiles
    2)Hmm perhaps make some Dwarven pillars to use as a "forest"? As for hills...dunno...perhaps make a big pile of debris with a flat top? Hm...my own idea just gave me and idea! xD
    3) & 4) I used ordinary glue on Styrofoam, because it melts it in a sick way, so you may try to pour some on a, let's say, a pillar, so it could look like it had a close encounter with a warpfire thrower or something equally Skaveny

Damn, I just game myself a lots of ideas!

Hope this helps
    Necrons W0/D0/L0 Dwarfs W10/D2/L6 (8th edition)

http://hobby-fun-zone.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Watch the Fellowship of the Ring (again if necessary) for the sequence in the mines of Moria there are some good ideas there.

If you are doing an overrun mine lots of skeletons (suitably knawed) and dwarven weapons and armour strewn around would work. Rather than doing dwarven pilars you could do staligmights and staligitights as a forest. The board would suit lots of multileveled areas, bridges and narrow tunnels to make it different.

An idea for the floor is to use thick art card and glue it to the table top. This will allow you to score details into it readily but being stuck to the wooden board will not bend easily.

Marc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys

hey. not sure if this is the right section

merry xmas to all!

+ Reply to Thread