Painting Base on Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting Base on Necrons

Hey Guys.

I am doing my Necrons up in a red/black scheme. And my bases are going to be lava themed.

My question/problem is:
    1) is it best to paint to the model first and then paint the base
    2) paint the base and model separately, and if i do so, how do i go about attached the Necron to the base.

There is obviously a big of dry brushing and difficulty involved with lava bases in that i have to be very careful not to spill onto the minis.

Can you guys offer me any advice on what to do please.

Thanks,
    Mickem

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

well with my models i will paint the base first so i don't have to being careful when dry brushing the base and iv never tried to do the base separately hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently making a ork army with a lava base i just fully paint the model first then i start on the base i just put sand but i leave a line (or two) down the base (for lava) but you have to avoid the model.Then i paint the sand black with some brown then i paint the lava and once its fully dry i add lighting effects (mine are pretty bad) to the model but its probably easier to put the sand on when the model is assembled the you could spray paint the hole model black then add the lava and lighting after you complete the model.
    Last edited by piggy123:); September 28th, 2010 at 06:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you make your lava? water effects or just pva glue? Currently i just have put sand on all the bases. I just find that with drybrushing i suddenly start getting yellow and red patches on the feet.

Lava Orks sound pretty cool though. Are they all dark green skin or even black?

But painting the base first could help.. but i know if i was doing things with flock and such that wouldn't work i'd think.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

I do this:

1. Glue plastic model on the base using very small amounts of Superglue
    2. Add PVA and sand to the base
    3. When dry, very gentle remove the model from the base. You should just be able to snap it off the superglue join.
    4. Paint base!
    5. Glue model on with plastic glue!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    221 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendove View Post
    I do this:

1. Glue plastic model on the base using very small amounts of Superglue
    2. Add PVA and sand to the base
    3. When dry, very gentle remove the model from the base. You should just be able to snap it off the superglue join.
    4. Paint base!
    5. Glue model on with plastic glue!
    only getting the toes, if the whole foot is covered then the plastic glue wont work as well
    My ToP - raven gaurd <- cliky
    Raven Guard W/13 D/7 L/5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paint the orks in the goff clan after on the base I just put on sand(using pva) leaving a line or two with out sand after the glue is dry and I've tapped of the excess sand I water down some chaos black more then normal then I apply that all over the sand so the sand is now black I then dry brush little bits of scrorched brown and codex grey on the sand.Now the sand is done I paint in lava using lots of different reds,yellows and oranges start in the middle using the brightest yellow then keep using the other yellows brightest first, then do the same with orange and after that with red down to the darkest red there is I then apply gloss to the lava and try painting some lighting effects (but I fail).I don't think you should add water effects because it's different to lava.If you have a few spare bases you should try out the different techniques people have recomended,then pick the best one you like and base your army with it(or not) sorry if this anwser wasn't to clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

The more work going into the base, the more it should be painted first. If you go to glue a model onto a sand covered base he will look like he's hovering and u will see the glue. I always glue the model before I put sand or the final layer of basing material on.

Usually thelast bit of feet aren't very detailed so u can either touch them up or paint them last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

if you are really concerned about he painting of the mini getting messy, you could just pin the mini to the base.

This will put the mini on top of the basing details you have added, you will still need to add a drop of model superglue to the bottom of the feet after having the pin already drilled and glued in. Then just insert the pins into the base where you pre-drilled the holes. Once done, turn the mini over and place a drop of model superglue on the bottom of the base where the pins come through.

Or you could simply not worry about the mess, and just do touch ups on the feet and legs.

+ Reply to Thread