Ezari the Fallen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

Ezari the Fallen

This is Ezari the Fallen Angel, a Chaos lord I painted as a present for my brother.
    First time for me painting black armour. What do you reckon?

The Angels of Penitance - The project log
    There is only the Emperor. He is our shield and protector.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think that your armour looks black and I like the natural earthy tone on him. However the highlights are far to strong which affects the overall colour scheme. Try to use a small dybrush with a little white in it. Draw this brush very lightly over the raised areas and edges of the black. It will leave a small highlight there if done carefully enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

Thanks. Hadn't really dared to think about drybrushing ( with white, too! ) as a highlighting method for it. I'll be sure to try it out on my next one.
    The Angels of Penitance - The project log
    There is only the Emperor. He is our shield and protector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I might add a few comments.. Black, in my opinion, is a challenging colour scheme to pull off. Because it is so dark it 'sucks' the light away when you look at it, and as such it is hard to see as much detail. To counteract this you need to balance the colour scheme well; the cloak is a great start, and the mutated bit on the weapon; both of these parts bring a bit more depth to the model which is good, but viewing the model from the front, you pretty much just have black and silver. The skulls and banner (which are nicely painted and in good colours) are too high up on the model to make a difference to the way the light is skewed.

Firstly, I would suggest a light highlight on the furs which you can see on his shoulders, that will help. Just use the same brown mixed 75:25 with skull white, the white being the 25. Make sure the paint is at a smooth consistency, add some water so it isn't too dry, and add a tiny amount of water to your brush as you go along to keep it from drying.

I agree with the previous post of highlighting the black; depending on how far you want to go/time you want to spend, mix varying levels of white with black to get a smooth gradient and highlights, though you don't want to overdo it or your armour will look grey

There are two things which will really enhance the model; 1st, I think the silver you are using is too dark compared to the black. It needs to stand out more. Just mix a little white with your silver and add a few highlights. I would also change some of the silver pieces on the front of the model, such as the pipes, or the ornamental skulls, to a colour to add variation; maybe the brown you used, or the colour on the mutated hand/gun bit for the pipes.

2nd, the base is too dark. Dark base + dark model = can't see properly. Make your base much much lighter and it will look 10x better. Even if you don't do the other stuff, make your bases lighter

Hope some of that was helpful, don't be too put off, it is a great mini! Post a unit pic up when they are done too

+ Reply to Thread