different paint brands that you guys use? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

different paint brands that you guys use?

ive had a few searches but couldnt find anything regarding different paint brands other than citidel. as the only brand i use atm is citidel and citidel brushes.

was just wondering if there are any other paints that you guys use other than citidel, if so what are they???

only reason im askin is cos im unhappy with the new paint they bought out with the foundations.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Well, I've become a huge fan of Vallejo's paints, the quality is at least as good as GW's and the bottles are just very handy; Also, their metallics and inks are incredible. Another plus thing is they also have a good range of masking fluid, airbrush/brush cleaner and acrylic thinner which works amazingly good. I suggest taking a look on ebay, plenty of webshops on there with good prices. You can easily mix them with GW paints and in general I feel they handle a bit better in terms of mixing and thinning.
    The main reason I use GW's foundations is for use with the airbrush, the high-pigment content is perfect for thinning and still having a good colour coating.

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Hrm, cant say I've found the same with Vallejo metallics. I've found GW metallics to be better. As for the paint itself, its a LOT thinner. I'd say they are better than GW overall though. Especially the bottles.

Formula p3 paint has to be even better than vallejo from my opinion and experience though. It isnt in a dropper, but it is in a tub with a top reminiscent of the original GW paints (Hexa's) but without the silly corners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have some citadel paints but as they are used up I go over to p3, there are several reasons for this.

Firstly, I almost exclusively play and paint Warmachine now, and p3 and GW colour ranges are quite different.

Second, It's cheaper, not by much, but in the amounts I seem to buy paints in these days every bit matter, also there are 1/3 more paint pr. pot(GW, 12ml/p3, 1

Third, the paint viscosity/thickness , is thinner than GW, but also with more pigment, so so that it covers more, this takes a little getting used to, but I find I like it.

I have a few Vallejo droppers for colours not in p3's range, and my general impression is that its better than GW, but because it's so thin you need to shake it a lot, and anyway, its colour range is close to that of GW so its not of much use to me.

Oh, and as for brushes, my experience is that almost anything is better that GW, and I will recommend ArmyPainter if you can get your hands on them.

Hope this helps.
    "We's da best at drive into shooting"
    Wazzog warboss of the piledrivers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks heaps guys, that was exactly what im after. iv had a bit of a look into the vallejo paints and from just reading a bit of info on them they do seem like they would be alot betta than the GW paints. aint looked into P3 yet but from what piledriver and silentdeathz said it seems like it wil be worthwhile lookin into them aswell.

@piledriver: thanks for the brush recomendation aswell man, thats exactly what i was gonna ask next , my cousins own an art supply store so ill try and source the brushes through them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

My top 5 paint maufacturers are
    1. Wargames foundry
    2. P3
    3. coat d'arms
    4. Miniature Paints
    5. GW