Micro Markers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Micro Markers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Micro Markers

Ok, SO i have heard of these micro markers, but haven't tried them. If anyone has any input and experience on them I would appreciate recommended brands, tips for usig them etc...

I found a website with them, not sure if these are good, look good to me though.

When you "paint" do you simply draw the paint on more so than paint it?

Here is the website.
    Specialty Markers

I am planning on really trying to make my lord look BAD ASS, so I was going to try something very detailed like this for my Bret Lord. IF I can get half as good i will be happy. Prepare your eyes you will be amazed.

~ BELTANE Painting Studio
    pilgrim_duke_1.jpg

"For Plunder and Women!"

Bretonnians 7500, Empire 3300, Dwarfs 4800; Space Marines 2000, Tyranids 3000

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I picked up a pack of micron lining pens at an art supply store once. Typically they're just black, but they are offering in other colors. They're genuine markers though, not paint pens. I like them more though- I used them back when I did lots of Gundam modelling (HG and Perfect scale) to line out the armor plates and do fine writing details. When I played Space Marines I used them to do custom shoulder pads and write on their scrolls. Now I use them to tattoo my Marauders and WoC models, or put scroll work on my Elves (I have a blue marker for that).

They can definitely get some fine lines. The only problem that I had with mine was that they'd sometimes scratch off the paint. I tried sealing the model before doing linework, but that creates a smooth surface that the ink won't sink into. Trick is to paint them, then line them, then seal them.

A note though- you can get the same effect from high grade brushes. '000' brushes look like a single hair to me, so as long as you're careful while loading the brush, you can get the exact same results. A lot of what you're looking at is a steady hand, more so than an awesome tool. I used 000's before and after I got my markers. It saves me money, because I don't need to buy a marker just to pick out a few specific colors.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

For a brush would this be what you aretalking about?

Pointed Brush Small (tam87017) Tamiya Hobby and Model Paint Brushes

Also with the markers, if you mess up can you erase the paint easily by quickly putting a dab of water on their to lift the marker ink off, or once its on there that is it?
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

The markers are marker ink, not paint. If they scratch through the paint, then you'll have that to deal with, but yeah, I've usually been able to wipe the marks off with a little spit and a prayer. If I'm working on serious linework though, I'll usually mock it up with a soft lead pencil first.
    The trick I've found to avoid scratches is to use something a little bigger than the smallest you can get. If the tip of the marker looks like it's so fine that it'll scratch, it's going to scratch. Micron makes their pens with drafting sizing, so .001 is usually too fine. I tend more towards .005 or .01 for my stuff. Priming your models will help too (yes, I'll admit I'm too cheap/lazy to properly prime).

That brush from Tamiya is what I'm talking about. Tamiya makes some awesome stuff. If you want to save a few pennies, you might be able to catch WalMart with a few fine brushes like that, or ACMoore/Michaels. Not sure what you guys have in the southwest.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Sweet. Ill try both probably. Get one brush to do the color i wont need that often, then prob get a red, blue, black, white, yellow pen. ALso, didnt think about the graphite penciel to outline, that is a good idea.
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I remember many years ago I used pens on some Eldar, just black for shading. It can work but be careful that paint already on the model doesn't clog up the nib of the pen.

I think also that doing things like highlights will be very hard or not at all possible with these pens. You may need to apply very light colours and then use the pens to darken the model gradually.

+ Reply to Thread