I'm planning on starting sculpting but I don't know what material is good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning on starting sculpting but I don't know what material is good?

What material could I use? I don't want to use green stuff.

The only way to beat the Tyranids is if we forfeit the battle! ;)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Why don't you want to use greenstuff? Telling us you don't without saying why makes it hard to suggest alternatives.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it costs a lot so i want to use something which is cheaper but still has the same effect, ive jsut found something that might work, Modelight | Modelight by Homecrafts direct

what do you think?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

I use Das Pronto air dry (water-based) material. I can buy a huge brick of it for about $10US and sculpt to my heart's content for as long as I need to and just set aside to dry for a day. It bonds well to metal or plastic and dries as hard as a rock. I will usually give it a coating of semi-gloss acrylic to help seal it, so it does not have a porous look when painted. The best part is when used for base texture/terrain it takes inks/washes beautifully for really great effects

The Modelight stuff looks similar, but you just want to make sure it has good strength when dry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDSW View Post
    I use Das Pronto air dry (water-based) material. I can buy a huge brick of it for about $10US and sculpt to my heart's content for as long as I need to and just set aside to dry for a day. It bonds well to metal or plastic and dries as hard as a rock. I will usually give it a coating of semi-gloss acrylic to help seal it, so it does not have a porous look when painted. The best part is when used for base texture/terrain it takes inks/washes beautifully for really great effects

The Modelight stuff looks similar, but you just want to make sure it has good strength when dry.
    What texture does it have when it dries?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

Once it is dry, you can give it a rub with a moist finger and it will be as smooth as a baby's bottom. But, it can still have a very slight difference to the way it soaks up paint, so that's why I give it a quick coat of semi-gloss sometimes and it will be perfectly invisible when primed. But, that would only be in a big area that it would make a difference - in most applications, it does not and I just paint normally.

I have spent years sculpting complete figures with this material. Of course, anything takes pratice and finesse, but this is what I use and love it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Any linky linky for that?
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

986 (x8)

It is actually made in Germany or Sweden or something, but I just Googled it and found it at tons of locations. I buy it at the local craft store, Hobby Lobby - they are a huge art & craft store as opposed to an actual hobby store.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Aha indeed,i have seen it somewhere but i didnt remember the name!So it is a good product then if you use it for years.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

260 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranator View Post
    it costs a lot so i want to use something which is cheaper but still has the same effect, ive jsut found something that might work, Modelight | Modelight by Homecrafts direct

what do you think?
    I think waiting 2 days longer for a product nobody can back up, and doesn't appear to dry smooth is not the best choice. If you buy outside of GW, you can get a hefty supply of two part epoxys for decent prices.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast