Priming in winter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Priming in winter

Does anyone have any tips for priming models in winter (in Canada)?
    I have heard not to spray paint when it is cold outside though I don't know why it is a problem - and I'd rather not sacrifice models to discover why.
    I live in a tiny apartment with almost zero ventilation so painting indoors is out of the question. Any suggestions on what to do? A this point I think I have to wait until spring

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest priming on a porch or someplace near the house. As soon as you finish the coat, run it inside and place it next to a heater/radiator. But before you do anything do a test model or piece of sprue. Don't try the brush on though, it sucks imo

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x3)

Heh, I'm afraid that a brush and a pot o'Chaos Black is your way to go. Otherwise you could ask a friend with a better ventilated accomodation to lend his/her flat for a while, dunno.

Good luck!
    LS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

I've primed in -10 before without problems, so I'm not sure why not... could someone clarify for me the problem?
    Last edited by Hive Fleet Ruina; December 21st, 2010 at 12:34.
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Don a plastic glove, open the window, hold the model out, spray, close window, set mini back on the table. No?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Every paint/primer is rated as far as what temperatures it works best at. That is the case for many items: TVs, printers, engine oils, brake fluids, rubber tires etc. Outside of that range of temperatures you are not getting the best performance, or you might get some funky things happen or things might refuse to work at all...

I never attempted to spray outside in cold, but I can tell you that I primed some things on a very humid day and it did not turn out that well for the models. Also had the same problem with clear varnish on a humid day...

As far as priming, you can perhaps look for someone in your family that has a heated garage or basement where they do not mind some fumes?

Or perhaps your local hobby store could help you with that if you buy their models?

Also, in art stores, you can pick up a "brush-on" primer. I do have a bottle of that at home, but I am not sure of brand name. It is called GESSO in art terminology though. People that paint models have been using it when no regular primer can be applied.

I am not sure if that would work on resin, so hopefully you work with metal or plastic at the moment.

The last alternative would be to just keep playing and modeling until the spring arrives By then you could have another army ready for priming...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Thanks everyone You guys are great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

I've primed in the dead of winter with snow on the ground and everything. No ill effects that I could see, if anything it helped spawn one of my better looking models. I was even using $1 flat black spray paint from Lowe's/Home Depot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I have been doing is getting a flat board, newspapering it, putting it in the bathroom, make sure you news paper everything that might get painted. Then I open the window in the bathroom, spray. And then I just close the bathroom door while it ventilates, sure the apt drops a few degrees but i dont have to brave the elements. works for me.=)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Good idea! That's better than going outside wearing a kilt when it's windy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast