Quick question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick question

I am very new to painting citadel models and i have recently took up the Necron army. So i am getting close to finishing my warriors and i was wondering, is theyre any sort of protective coating such as ClearCoat i should put on the models to keep theyre paint in good condition? As i said, pretty new, so please excuse any imperfections in my warriors

And if it helps, This is how i painted them:
    Beasecoat of Black spraypaint followed by dry brushng boltgun metal over the body. Tin Bitz in the joints and head, snot green for parts of the weapon. And a wash of Devlan Mud over the Boltgun metal.

DSC05208.jpg
    DSC05209.jpg

Edit: This guy still isnt done yet, just giving an example of how i painted them

Last edited by thedude; December 23rd, 2010 at 08:37. Reason: Adding a note

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's resident Yowie Dead Dude Walking's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    272 (x4)

since you're painting metal robots... no.

some people like to dulcoat their armies, but for display pieces and models with lots of metalics, you shouldn't varnish them

Cheers
    -DDW
    <----- Dead Dude's WIP Thread, in all it's pant wetting glory! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Dude Walking View Post
    since you're painting metal robots... no.

some people like to dulcoat their armies, but for display pieces and models with lots of metalics, you shouldn't varnish them

Cheers
    -DDW
    Thx for the quick response! And yeah, i wasnt sure about it, thx for clarifacation Oh, and i have now touched up *most* of the imperfections in some of these guys. And since it is my first army i am not expecting the level of perfection i have seen in alot of your models. Thx again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

if you're concerned about paint chipping, then yes, by all means use a clearcoat! A dull coat will tend to change their appearance, dulling the metals right down. A gloss coat should keep all the colours intact, if you like the shiny look. There's also a bunch of different satin clearcoats that tend to work really well. The top brands are pretty universally agreed upon: Testors Dullcote and Future floor polish are the big names for flat and gloss. Satins are more of a guessing game, I've had good results with Krylon clear matte (it says matte, but it's not nearly as matte as the Testors).
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Yes, seems that Krylon went a bit towards satin with their Matte Clearcoat. Due to this I started using Testors recently. Also, a gloss varnish is considered "harder" than matte, so what some people do is use a coat of gloss, and then use a coat of matte/dullcote on top. I usually do two coats of varnish anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your responses! Gonna be nice to keep my models in good condition, thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread