What glue is best to attach plastics parts onto metal parts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What glue is best to attach plastics parts onto metal parts?

I've tried super glue but it doesn't really work.

The only way to beat the Tyranids is if we forfeit the battle! ;)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

...Well, that's a problem - the answer is Super Glue.

A different brand of superglue might be called for - what have you tried so far? Zap is one of the best brands out there, huuuuuge in the wider scale modelling world. A superglue accelerant might be an idea, too.

It's worth noting that you need to have good surface preparation for superglues to work well - parts should be clean and mate well for best results. You can just slap stuff together, true... But it'll likely fall apart later.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for the zap, works great

I also like the Gorilla Glue super glue gel. I got it when I ran out once... turned out to be terrific stuff. The gel is thicker, so you have to be more careful not to put too much on. But I like it.

Super glue or crazy glue for sure.

It could be the brand, as mentioned. It could also be that you used too much. Super glue bonds great except when it is too thick... then the glue can break, not the bond.

Also, with super glue and plastic on metal you will want to hold the parts together firmly for 20 or 30 seconds, then be gentle with them until it hardens (usually a few minutes)

You could also use a 2-part epoxy... but that stuff is usually more expensive, much harder to work with and you tend to waste a lot in the mixing process.

Dang, somebody must have turned on my bla, bla, bla

<edited for sloppy typing>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well what you could do is try prepping the parts by using a rough file on each part so that the glue has something to actually cling to, this has always worked for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surface prep! good suggestion

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

You could also pin the parts together for extra strength. Paper clips work fine for this, all you need is a modelling drill. It also means that the model can support itself somewhat while the glue dries, so you don't have to hold it together for half an hour.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another good idea

I use an electric screwdriver with a 1mm drill bit... makes quick work of those holes.

I also use the large paper clips, they fill the holes best. I glue one side at a time, leave a little too much length on the pin. That way when the first piece sets I can test fit to the other piece and cut the rod (paperclip) to length before gluing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it best to scrub all metal parts with soap and an old toothbrush. This makes glue and paint stick better because it removes the fluid they use to stop it sticking to the mould. The glue and paint doesn't stick to this very well, because it is poly-something-ine based, not like the models, and so the paint and glue could stick to this, but it would come off easier because the fluid is not strongly bonded to the metal.

Hope this helps!
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Use wetness to make super glue work!

Your results with super glue can be improved with moisture. Super glue dries not because of air but because of moisture. Super glue was originally developed to bond wounds together quickly, that's why it sticks to you better than anything else. You may see people tend to blow on some super glue they want to dry or of done it yourself, it is the moisture in their breath not the air that makes it dry. To use this just make the surfaces you want to glue a little damp. I find that a small lick can be enough, too much liquid and it will make a mess. Just use a little moisture and your super glue will stick much more quickly.

+ Reply to Thread