High light help needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

High light help needed

Hey I have been painting for quite awhile I think myself a competent painter I am good with dry brushing I am ok with washes and have a reasonable ability to detail although I am very slow

How ever I have never managed to get high lighting down up until now this has not mattered but I am doing a lot more human models these days for blood bowl teams and other games with low model count.

So can anyone give me a few tips or if anyone know of any articles on the subject could they show me where.

Thank you

Last edited by Munch; January 27th, 2011 at 17:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there!

If you can let me know some specifics, then perhaps I can help?

Pete McF

Asgard Studio

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

What style of highlighting do you want to achieve? Drybrusing can give great results as it is so I'm presuming you want to layer?

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

There is also wet blending. It may be a good idea to post a picture of a model you have done but would want our combined feed back on how to develop the highlights. ;-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by And Justice For All
    There is also wet blending.
    Nothing like starting simple lol. I remember my first attempt... I put so much retarder in it was still wet 2 days later! :confused:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Ok first of sorry the question was a bit too unspecific and second sorry I don’t have a camera able take descent photos of me minis. (this may change soon if so I feel a panting blog coming)

But my problem is this on models like lizzardmen and such with lots of texture I can get by with feathering and such in order to achieve what I want

The sort of models I am worried about are human models with lots of flesh and cloth showing for instance for the two Malifaux crews I am getting these models is worrying generally I am worried about highlighting skin and clothing

Here is the links to the leaders of the two crews

Wyrd*Miniatures,...

Wyrd*Miniatures,...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Looks like you are going to have to learn to blend and apply washes.

Honestly, female skin tones are the hardest thing I have ever tried painting... So little detail, all smooth textures...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Ok sorry I meant to come back to this but forgot I understand the theory behind washes I guess I will just have to experiment with them I do not quite understand what blending is any chance you could go over it for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Munch
    Ok sorry I meant to come back to this but forgot I understand the theory behind washes I guess I will just have to experiment with them I do not quite understand what blending is any chance you could go over it for me.
    I wouldn't bother learning to run before you can walk tbh. Start off with layering. Start off with a darker base than you want and then paint on a lighter shade leaving the recesses dark until you have the main colour you want the area to be. After that paint on another lighter colour in the areas where light will fall to give you highlights.

This is of course the basic 3 colour layering technique.

Once you have this down to a comfortable tee, start trying more layers by mixing paints between colours and by even going a colour or two further for highlights.

Below is an example for painting a red cloak. I'll also add in some glazes using washes remember to dilute your paint, I use about 50/50 but usually I use less water for deep shades (30%) and more for light shades (70%) but experiment.

You need:

Scab Red
    Blood Red
    Blazing Orange
    Vomit Brown

Asurman Blue wash
    Baal Red wash

Basically...

Apply a base of scab red to the whole area. After that use a mix of scab red and blood red (the more mixes the smoother the layers, ie 75/25, 50/50, 25/75) leaving progressively darker colours in the recesses, basically by covering a smaller area each time. Finally cover the main part of the area blood red. You should be left with a nicely shaded blood red cloak.

Now to highlight.

Start by mixing blood red with blazing orange, again the more stages the smoother the layers. This time start focussing on areas where you want to add highlights. Again finish on blazing orange on pretty much your key highlighted areas.

Now let's make it crisp if you dare! Again mix up from blazing orange to vomit brown using very fine lines in the extreme lighted areas up until your using touches of vomit brown in the most extreme lighted areas. Remember to keep these crisp and sharp.

Now let's advance further. Take your blue wash, blue being on the opposite side of the colour wheel to red (google it and save it) and water it down with about 5 parts water to 1 part wash. Now paint these gradually into your shaded areas. Make sure your brush is not dripping, your not using a wash but painting in a very faint translucent glaze. You should see next to no difference. Do it again and again and again, gradually painting a smaller area and keep doing it till your happy with the result, trust me you will see the difference.

Now to tie it all together. Make another glaze of water and Baal red. Again paint thin layers on but this time cover the whole cloak. Keep painting on these layers till your cloak is a lovely shade of red and all the colours are tied together.

Now do your final vomit brown highlights again

I hope this helps this is pretty much how Keith Robertson painted his deathmaster snick cloak in his golden demon entry that won silver in the open!

+ Reply to Thread