Orc skin alternative themes. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Orc skin alternative themes.

Atm my orc and goblin army is going to have an Ice Age scheme to it which is why i'm looking for alternative skin colours for savage orc's and night goblins
    My thinking being that my Savage Orcs migrated into the mountains where it's colder and so their skin needs to appear frostbitten and worn due to the harshness of the elements. However i'm trying to avoid them having a similar skin colour to black orcs, I want them to almost have a pastel tone to it like Catachan green but i'm having trouble finding other colours to layer and highlighjt with so that the skin looks alive yet abused instead of flat and dead.

Come see my Necrons, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Orks, Goblins and anything else I feel like painting at my blog: http://modelminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I'd highlight Catachan with either Bleached bone or Rotting Flesh. Both mix with Catachan quite well and keep it looking like a paler green rather than the result you get by adding skull white. As for the shade, no idea. You could go with a light Green/brown wash to make them look dirty, they are ORcs after all!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

thanks for the advice, in terms of shade I might just mix catachan green with scorched brown to get it really murky looking, it makes sense since they live in caves with the night goblins of my army.
    Come see my Necrons, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Orks, Goblins and anything else I feel like painting at my blog: http://modelminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Sounds good. I do mine with the new foundation paints as its just a damn sight easier. Orkhide - Orkhide/Gnarloc miz - Gnarloc - Wash with Thraka/Scorched brown mix.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by lowelife101 View Post
    thanks for the advice, in terms of shade I might just mix catachan green with scorched brown to get it really murky looking, it makes sense since they live in caves with the night goblins of my army.
    Erm....yes, but the less sunlight a creature gets, the PALER skin becomes. Logically speaking, what you are suggesting here does suggest "sunburn". Have you thought about using astronomican grey mixed in with Knarloc green? That'd do the job as it's less "warm" than Bleached bone. I used to use Rotting Flesh mixes on my night gobbo's, if you can still get hold of this colour (I doubt it) then it's worth every penny.

www.outlanders-club.com - Outlanders Gaming Club (Rugby, UK)
    www.Adeptus-Astartes.com - AA Studios, Commission based painting studios.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Atm my orc and goblin army is going to have an Ice Age scheme to it
    Excellent Idea. Like to see some pics when done pls!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Your right but I don't want them so much darker but merely a different shade, in the new orc and goblins book their's a great picture of an orc painted with an olive green skin tone which isn't exactly darker but far less vibrant and exuberant a colour as it's more of a chalky tone. I think it would demonstrate their skin being thicker and tougher than usual to handle the cold as well as being a different shade as they are devoid of light for extended periods of time during extreme weather conditions.

Also you would'nt happen to know where I could buy some of the old metal savage orcs, they are sculpted with much more animal hide on them compared with the new ones which are practically naked, orcs maybe dumb but if I want people to believe mine live somewhere cold running around with nothing on will probably ruin it. I only need a few, the rest i might be able to sort something out with green stuff... might need help with that too.

I'll get some pictures eventually but I'm really far behind on my painting schedule, I've got 5 more ironbreakers to paint as well as a chaos terminator for the GW store painting competition where I live, i'll get all the mold lines of my goblins so they are ready when i'm done with everything else.

Also I've got 10 spider riders which i'm having trouble thinking of ways to incorperate into the theme, sure spiders live in caves even in relativly cold environments but only small dinky ones. These riding spiders might look a tad out of place

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

You see metal savage orcs off Ebay fairly regularly so give them a go. However the Green stuff hides is probably the best bet. Furs and skins are quite easy to sculpt on, if you need any help just ask or have a look in my Orc log

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

I've tried making hides before for other models and it end's up looking too much like cloth. Also how big is a rhinox? as much as I love the new arachnarok model I think I might build my own equivalent using rhinox's.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Your right but I don't want them so much darker but merely a different shade,

Hmm, I would still avoid brown though - brown can take things too dark so easily.

in the new orc and goblins book their's a great picture of an orc painted with an olive green skin tone which isn't exactly darker but far less vibrant and exuberant a colour as it's more of a chalky tone.
    Sounds like catachan green with bleached bone or a light grey mixed in for higlights - a lack of yellow pigment will "lose" the exuberance on a "normal" orc/gobbo.

Also you would'nt happen to know where I could buy some of the old metal savage orcs,
    Try ebay - people tend to sell of old stuff when they want the bucks for the new models. Other than that I'm not too sure. I have some but they're painted and I don't want to let them go *yet*.

Also I've got 10 spider riders which i'm having trouble thinking of ways to incorperate into the theme, sure spiders live in caves even in relativly cold environments but only small dinky ones. These riding spiders might look a tad out of place
    Who says spiders only live in small caves in the warhammer world? I wouldn't worry about that. Just paint them blue an no one'll notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast