Creating a piece of terrain similar to a rook in chess [with a cannon!] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a piece of terrain similar to a rook in chess [with a cannon!]

Hi, first post here lol

I'm not terribly sure whether this should be here or in the modeling section or the project section ><;

I have an idea to make a rook-esque structure that would fit on a base of some sort (though it would probably be too large for a 50mm x 50mm).

I want the building to be roughly 3" diameter (probably a little larger at the top, to fit a cannon inside and the crew on top, see below) and made out of something that is relatively light and easy to work with.

My plan is to stick an empire cannon out of a small hole (similar to ships, like large arrow slits) about half way up or so, and have the three crew standing above sort of 'guarded' by the rooks battlements (with space for a fourth member).

Unfortunately I have NO experience doing this kind of thing (the most I've done is stick models together, with very slight conversion work), so I don't know where to start!

I want the model to look like it's off a chessboard except for the whole cannon/crew thing, and it will be painted in theme with the rest of the empire army (in fact, the whole 'rook cannon' actually fits quite well in the army itself). And if possible, to allow the top of the rook to come off so I can take the cannon out and use it without the rook piece if I need to.

If anyone can help or suggest to me where to being, it would be really appreciated! If you need more information just ask, and I might be able to draw some sketches as to how I want it to look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I forgot to mention, I plan to make it about 5" high!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're looking for a castle tower type piece?

You can roll foamcore into a tube, cut the top, windows, etc. and stamp stones into it...

Or get or cut small foam cubes, build it up out of those, get some light weight drywall patch to fill in the gaps and mortar it all together?

You could also get some epoxy putty (like GW's green stuff) and roll out a 1/4" thick pad, cut and roll it into shape around a cardboard tube (empty TP roll?) and then sculpt the stones and such into it?

For a 3-in diameter piece you will probably need at least a 80mm or larger base (3 inches is roughly 75mm), or make one out of foamcore or balsa or MDF..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Carney View Post
    You're looking for a castle tower type piece?
    Sort of, more based on chess than a medieval-style castle.

You can roll foamcore into a tube, cut the top, windows, etc. and stamp stones into it...
    Oh ok, I didn't know you could roll foamcore? How is that done?

Or get or cut small foam cubes, build it up out of those, get some light weight drywall patch to fill in the gaps and mortar it all together?
    That sounds REALLY fun haha I do like the idea of making it block-by-block. What kind of foam would make the most resilient building block? I've seen a site, Hirst Arts, which does this kind of thing with dental stone, however this would mean the tower would have more texture than I want (see below).

You could also get some epoxy putty (like GW's green stuff) and roll out a 1/4" thick pad, cut and roll it into shape around a cardboard tube (empty TP roll?) and then sculpt the stones and such into it?
    Somehow this sounds the easiest, I'm not sure if it is but yeah. I'm not actually going to sculpt stonework into it, I want it to be from a standard chess set: flat sides, no detail except the cannon hole and the floor of the top of the tower.

For a 3-in diameter piece you will probably need at least a 80mm or larger base (3 inches is roughly 75mm), or make one out of foamcore or balsa or MDF..?
    I'll probably make one out of a movement tray for WHFB, because I want it to be part of the game for my army, I think it might work best (mostly for simplicity's sake).
    Thanks for the reply! ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moriōjo View Post
    Oh ok, I didn't know you could roll foamcore? How is that done?
    Carefully, LOL. Some will roll if you don't roll too tight... others you may have to score with a hobby knife... depends on the density. Either way you can get the look you're after.
    That sounds REALLY fun haha I do like the idea of making it block-by-block. What kind of foam would make the most resilient building block? I've seen a site, Hirst Arts, which does this kind of thing with dental stone, however this would mean the tower would have more texture than I want (see below).
    I would simply cut styrofoam into blocks... it's cheapest, very light. You will need to coat it with PVC (elmers) glue before painting or the paint will eat it!

Somehow this sounds the easiest, I'm not sure if it is but yeah. I'm not actually going to sculpt stonework into it, I want it to be from a standard chess set: flat sides, no detail except the cannon hole and the floor of the top of the tower.
    That should make it far easier then...

You might even want to take a cardboard roll that is the proper size, then cover that with paper mache or plaster? You can get the smooth sides with a little sanding after it dries.

Putty would be simple too...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

A great stone block look is pretty easy using the foam insulation sheeting. It is very dense and can be cut into shape and glued together - similar to the build block-by-block idea above (which would look awesome!) but you could do it in four flat sides so it is a square tower instead of round. his would give you a little larger area to fit the figures and cannon than if it was round - and certainly would still have a very authentic 'period' look.

The foam can be bought in 1/2" or 5/8" thick sheets (big 4' x 8' sheets - usually used for the base of most tables) and just cut four sides to the shape you want. Then to make the stone pattern lines you can simply take a pencil and score into the foam or you can take a folded piece of sandpaper and using the folded edge sand in the lines as deep and thick as you like. I did this on my Bretonnian display board for castle walls and it looks great. It is also easy to make some rubble pieces, blocks, etc. by putting various pieces around the base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have any plastic childrens cups? find one in the approximate size and there you have your smooth, rounded, tapering tower walls..?

Just add the buttress at the top, cut a window for your cannon, prime and paint....?

8. ThanksMoriōjo thanked for this post.
    LikeMoriōjo liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=MDSW;1799604]A great stone block look is pretty easy using the foam insulation sheeting. It is very dense and can be cut into shape and glued together - similar to the build block-by-block idea above (which would look awesome!) but you could do it in four flat sides so it is a square tower instead of round. his would give you a little larger area to fit the figures and cannon than if it was round - and certainly would still have a very authentic 'period' look.
    I'm not sure if you misread or something, I'm not particularly after the stony look, more a smooth polished look, and it must be round (I don't think I've ever seen a square based chess piece? I'm sure they exist but yeah lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Carney View Post
    do you have any plastic childrens cups? find one in the approximate size and there you have your smooth, rounded, tapering tower walls..?

Just add the buttress at the top, cut a window for your cannon, prime and paint....?I'll have a look around, I do like this idea. If I can find one, yeah, it would be amazing. I'm not sure how I'd cut a hole in it however, I might just do the paint job so it appears that way (with a cannon end sticking out).

Sorry I have no idea how to do multiple quote things ><;

+ Reply to Thread