Any tips on how to improve this model? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips on how to improve this model?

So I painted up this kasrkin to use in my upcoming Grey Knights army as an inquisitorial henchman and I just wanted some opinions on how I could improve my technique. I used GW paints and washes but feel like I could do something more. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    IMG_1571.jpgIMG_1575.jpgIMG_1567.jpgIMG_1570.jpgIMG_1571.jpgIMG_1575.jpgIMG_1567.jpgIMG_1570.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Well, just judging from the photos...

1 - It looks as though your metallic paints have gone on a bit thick. If you're already watering down your paints, you might need to go a little further with the metallics.

2 - Highlights. They're pretty good for the most part. It does seem a little inconsistent in that you've done some parts (the chest armour) but not others (the kneepads, boots, scabbard...). In places they look a little messy, too, but I'm still pretty messy with my highlights as well - it's just something you have to keep working on to develop a steady hand.

Otherwise, not much else seems wrong with it. If you want any further explanation of anything I've said just let me know, I sometimes find it hard to explain things over the internet!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to use the paint right out of the pot ... I know it's a little newbish but I hate wasting paint ($) which is always what happens when I dump some out, water it down, and paint a few models. Case in point I'll add some more h2o to the metallics as they were a little goopy lol. And yeah about the highlights... thanks for noticing that I didn't finish ha! I had no idea, that's an easy fix in any case (P.S. what color should I highlight the scabbard with? it's bestial brown washed w/ baal red currently). Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Just a quick tip with the watering paints - if you're careful, you can just do it right in the pot. Add a couple of drops of water, shake it all up, and your paint's already watered down and ready to go straight from the pot.

The other way is to use a palette of some kind. I've heard of people using a plastic CD case, a ceramic bathroom tile, basically anything your paint won't stick to all that much. Just use your brush to put a drop or a smear of water on your palette, then add your paint. You start to learn how much you need so there isn't too much wastage in the end...

Also, palettes help a great deal with highlighting. For example, the scabbard you could probably highlight with a Snakebite Leather/Bestial Brown mix or, if you don't have any Snakebite, just add a bit of yellow to the Bestial Brown. You just want a slightly lighter tone then the base colour. Hard to do if you're using colours right out the pot, but if you've got something to use as a palette, it's a lot easier. Even the lid of a paint-pot would do in a pinch, though, provided it's not covered in dust like mine are!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadstar_MRC View Post
    Just a quick tip with the watering paints - if you're careful, you can just do it right in the pot. Add a couple of drops of water, shake it all up, and your paint's already watered down and ready to go straight from the pot.
    Sorry Deadstar. this not good advice for a "new" painter with limited experience of mixing/watering paints. Apollyon, if you do this you stand a chance of ruining the entire pot. Best to waste a little by mixing on a palette than risk losing the entire pot if you're not that confident yet. There's no reason to put too much paint on the palette in the fist place. Load your brush up once with paint - that's all you need unless painting a huge model. Just keep on repeating the process if you run dry. I know it's laborious, but it's worth it.

Buy a 99p small photo frame - paint cleans off glass very easily indeed - just lift the loose glass out of the frame when you want to clean it and put it back into the frame when you are using it to avoid spills and any cuts from the egdes of the glass. A small glass pallette will last you for years if cleaned properly after every session. Run it under the tap and use a green/yellow sponge/scourer pad to clean it.

No offence meant to either of you by the way.

Also, palettes help a great deal with highlighting. For example, the scabbard you could probably highlight with a Snakebite Leather/Bestial Brown mix or, if you don't have any Snakebite, just add a bit of yellow to the Bestial Brown. You just want a slightly lighter tone then the base colour. Hard to do if you're using colours right out the pot, but if you've got something to use as a palette, it's a lot easier. Even the lid of a paint-pot would do in a pinch, though, provided it's not covered in dust like mine are!
    I agree totally with this though.

www.outlanders-club.com - Outlanders Gaming Club (Rugby, UK)
    www.Adeptus-Astartes.com - AA Studios, Commission based painting studios.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggested improvements... where do I start...

Wrap this bad boy in bubble wrap, place him in a secure box, and post him to.... [because it is nice, not because I think I can do any better, and it would make a good beginning to an army that I've wanted to start for a while]

What I would work on is the eyes, they are tricky to get spot on, but make such a difference. It seems that you've started with a white base for the eyes but you'd be better going for a black or dark brown first.

There are numerous tutorials on eyes and it is probably not ideal to try and explain in words but I'll try.

Paint your base colour (dark) on, then pick out the area that you want to be white (may take a couple of coats if you water the paint down properly), don't worry about being too neat with this.

Then you take either a colour or black (depending upon how much detail you want) and paint a small spot in the centre of the white for the iris and pupil.

Next take the dark colour again and paint the eyelids, top & bottom, to get rid of any excess white.

You are then free to paint the face around the eyes.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Krakev View Post
    You are then free to paint the face around the eyes.
    Funny thing that. I always do the eyes last (although I admit to having to touch-up occasionally).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

I would suggust....

Another round of washes and then pick a brighter red and pick out the edges of the cargo pants.

This is your basic painting 101....

On your pallet pick a brighter red and mix it with your base red (of whatever you used) about...50/50

If you feel like going for a middle layer this would be it, (all before you do your highlights)

Apply wash again...use your 50/50 mix of red and pick out edges you can do this bluntly and doesn't
    have to be perfect because after this use a wash again and then use your brighter red to pick out
    the edges...be selective about this and use your best judgment you don't to make him look like
    he's wearing zuba pants.

BLADE
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

470 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasticmrfox View Post
    Sorry Deadstar. This is not good advice for a "new" painter with limited experience of mixing/watering paints. Apollyon, if you do this you stand a chance of ruining the entire pot. Best to waste a little by mixing on a palette than risk losing the entire pot if you're not that confident yet.
    Actually, now that you mention it, mixing in the pot probably isn't the best idea. And yes, I have stuffed up a pot or two doing things that way, so I should have thought better of suggesting it. Best to just ignore that bit.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadstar_MRC View Post
    Actually, now that you mention it, mixing in the pot probably isn't the best idea. And yes, I have stuffed up a pot or two doing things that way, so I should have thought better of suggesting it. Best to just ignore that bit.
    LOL. Actually, I have heard of a lot of people mixing in the pot lid (I wouldn't). It's not a huge crime or anything, but I just don't think a "newb" should go down that route until they are happy mixing colours. too many people stuff up their skull white though LOL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast