Wooden Scenery from drinks stirrers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wooden Scenery from drinks stirrers

Ok, so I saw a few posts years ago about scratch building scenery and someone mentioned using the wooden stirring sticks (from places like *bucks).

The first little project I had was to build an outhouse/shed. I figured that when the Imperial forces land on a planet and clear the surrounding areas of trees and foliage, what are the chances that they are going to erect shelters from the wood until pre-fab units arrive. That and the fact that I also play LOTR and figured a wooden hut could be used for 40k/FB&LOTR alike.

Does anyone have any ideas for what else these things could be used for? I've considered making a bridge to cross a canyon or river, but I'm having a creative block when it comes to other ideas.

Krakev

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Well, huts or small farmsteads. You could make look out towers (good for any system), palisades, bridges. The insides of trench systems.....the list can go on and on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krakev, those stirrers along with popsicle sticks and toothpicks are good for framing thingings up along with cardboard. Then you can papermachay *sp*. Sometimes after your papermachay is done you can add small features with bits of card board or wood before going to painting. The paper machay works great cause everyone has access to newspapers and flour and water. If dotne correctly you can sand it even afterwards before painting. So really those sticks can be used for tons of stuff. Hope this helped a little anyway.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

May I unhelpfully make a suggestion for alternatives?
    Balsa wood sheets are normally £ 1-2 each, you can choose the thickness and It's far easier to score / cut.

I say this as I used stirrers for fences, but they're waaay too standard for fantasy (and LOTR i'd imagine.)
    Something so manufactured - even in width and depth - would have to be futuristic. (or very high tech medieval, like a water mill - those panels would not used for fencing.)

You could use them for back garden fencing, or cattle fences in a 40K setting - maybe railway sleepers (set into the ground) if you wanted.

I found them too annoyingly tough to cut, and the grain isn't along the stick so they fragment too easily.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

You can use them to make a wood floor for the inside of a building, any level. Think I saw that on Miniwargaming.com tutorial or pdf.

+ Reply to Thread