Which Airbrush? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Airbrush?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Airbrush?

Hi all I am looking for an airbrush to make my first basecoat go a lot faster. As I am not looking for anything really amazing so I was hoping for some advice.
    1) Is the Citadel Airbrush worth the investment or is there something similar that is better. I like the price tag (suprise for something made by gw) so please keep it close.
    2) Is the Citadel Propellant the way to go? I find their primer a complete joke and use a generic brand to the same effect.
    3) Do you waste a lot of paint when you airbrush? Do you use GW or Reaper, or do you buy some other brand?

Thanks for all the help!!

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

1) There is an airbrush you can buy at Michael's arts and crafts (In the US) that is $10 cheaper than the Citadel for the same quality
    2) You get less and pay more than a can you can buy at an art store, but if you want to start painting more than just basecoats, a compressor is the way to go.
    3) I actually use less paint but I use a better airbrush than the citadel.

I discuss my experiences here (RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)).
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply. In your thread you post the Badger and then you say you got a better quality Airbrush? Do you mind telling me how much "better" as in why you feel it is better? I have been told to keep 2-3 Propellant cans on me at a time to switch out when they are cold, sound right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

The Badger 250 is the cheap one

I didn't realize I never added the second one to my posts. It is a Badger Crescendo 175-7. I won't pretend it is the best model out there, as it is still a siphon feed. I haven't bought a compressor for myself, but Ive used one and it is so much better than having to swap air cans back and forth as they get cold. You really have to do things in 30 second bursts with a can. Even that will cause pressure loss that is noticeable. But that is OK for just basecoating.
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

6. LikeHAB_Incognito liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again. +Rep. So between the Badger 250 and the Badger Crescendo 175-7 will I notice a difference basecoating or more when I get into the actual painting of models? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by HAB_Incognito View Post
    Thanks again. +Rep. So between the Badger 250 and the Badger Crescendo 175-7 will I notice a difference basecoating or more when I get into the actual painting of models? Thanks.
    The 250 is a blunt object, best suited for big, crude work like basecoats. If you know what you're doing and spend time tweaking settings and practicing, the 250 can be coerced into doing finer work, but it's barely worth it.

The 175 is a much better airbrush - dual action, internal mix, interchangeable needles and nozzles, adjustable tension, all of it. I'm not trying to say it's a fine, precision tool, because it's not. It has the basic bells and whistles, but it's a workhorse at heart. It's just as capable at throwing out a basecoat spray, but much better suited for detail work - because it's a dual action unit, almost all of the adjustments are actually done with the trigger, as you work.

Paasche's VL is another very good workhorse airbrush, almost a carbon copy of the 175.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

If you are the kind of person who assembles a model first and then paints it, the better airbrush will let you get into the hidden parts with less overspraying of the other parts. But it really isn't needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks you both. Last question is I can find the 175 Crescendo for around $75.00 on ebay. Sadly if I get a compessor I am looking at $160.00 Thats about 10 cans of Propellant will I go through cans that quick?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

If I remember correctly, I went through 3-4 cans doing my motorpool in my blog. That includes learning how to use it properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

If you're planning to make any significant use of the airbrush, get a compressor. It hurts a bit in the beginning, but it'll pay for itself many times over as the years go by.

Price point aside, canned air is erratic - you're never going to get the same air pressure twice, and the pressure changes with temperature and the amount remaining in the can. Set a compressor at, say, 20psi and you always get just that - 20psi.

Remember as well that you'll have to keep the airbrush clean, all the more important with a complicated double action unit like the 175. Since nobody's invented a cotton swab that fits through a 0.35mm nozzle, that means running water and/or a cleaner through the airbrush to flush out the paint, and that in turn effectively doubles the air requirements of anything you do.

Finally, simple quick-and-dirty basecoating isn't too demanding on canned air... Everything else you'll use an airbrush for is. Detail work uses the same amount of air to lay down much less paint in a tighter area, translating directly into more air cans. Camo schemes on tanks and such are especially bad for this, as you're doing fine lines, small patches and often feathered edges, usually in 3 or 4 colours in turn! It only took me one or two tanks that ate up 2 or 3 cans of propellant each to realize the value of a compressor.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast