Help With Painting In General - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok usually when you put paint on your paintbrush and paint a line on the model a line shows up, right? well, when i put the paint on, GW paint, it didnt form a layer on the model right away i.e. it was like a puddle formed and i had to swish it around, but this created uneven layers and gaps in the paint and although it could look cool if used under other circumstances, it doesnt. Does anyone know how this happened and how i can prevent it. Im using GW paints and GW brushes, and i dried the bursh off thoroughly first.

I think its because instead of using actual spray on primer i just took the chaos black and a tank brush and primed the model that way. could that be the reason or am i missing something here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This beading up of acrylic paint is usually caused by a couple of things related to a water resistant surface. Sometimes when you use a solvent base spray paint (primer) it creates a slick surface. Several brands and/or paint colors dry with a surface that is slightly resistant to water and paint beads up on it like water on a waxed surface. If this sounds like your problem, the paint doesn't seem to want to stick to the surface, switch brands of primer. Paints that have a satin finish are more prone to this and gloss is an absolute no-go

Another time this happens is when oils from your fingers creates a water resistant spot on the mini where you handled it. Another cause is remains of mold release residue on the mini. Even after painting with a brush it may settle on the new paint surface.

Wash your mini parts when you get them. Spray or paint on the primer and don't handle your mini a lot afterwards. Hold the base only or glue it to a "handle", like on the top of a cork. I like hot glue as it holds well but is easy to remove.

Although it sounds funny, wash your hands before you start working with a washed mini, especially when painting. I wash my hands whenever I get up to change my cleaning water. It keeps the fingerprints down.

One thing to note, painting on Chaos Black paint is not a primer, its a base coat (of paint). If you just want a black basecoat fine, but it won't stick any better than starting right off with any other paint color. Chaos Black is just paint, not primer. If you want to paint on the primer coat that's fine, but unless you use an actual primer it is of no real benefit.

If you don't like the risk of problems with spray primers (fuzzy, orange peal finish, drips, etc) you can spray the CLEAN bare mini with Testors Dull Cote. It is nearly impossible to mess it up, easy to paint over, and adheres very well to metal and plastic. Then you can do a black base coat or whatever starting color you like.

+ Reply to Thread