Which Chapter/Legion? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Chapter should Mr Fox paint his plastic marine?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Salamanders

8 32.00%
  • Imperial Fists

9 36.00%
  • White Scars

4 16.00%
  • Raven Guard

4 16.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Which Chapter/Legion?

As some of you may know, I'm working my way through the Hall of Fame miniatures at present (mainly because there's some fun to paint minis in it and it also gives a broad education in the application of different methods of painting).

For those that haven't been already, you can see the results in my workbench thread.

The next piece is Jes Goodwin's plastic Space Marine. Thing is - and the reason for this poll - I can't decide how to paint it.

The reason the plastic marine was inducted is that it's just an iconic piece of miniature design and probably THE single most famous GW model ever made. To represent this, I decided upon the following conditions;

1. Codex Chapter only (to reinforce the "image" of a space marine rather than individual chapter traits)

2. One of the original Twenty Legions - must be a loyalist chapter. Not Traitors/Renegades or either Legion 2 or 11 (which are technically unknown having had all records destroyed following the heresy in fluff terms).

3. Marine will be a mix of mark 6 and mark 7 armour (using the "beaky" helmet as it was the first helmet design ever featured on a space marine).

4. Armour will not feature too much in the way of battle damage, as a marines silhouette should be clean cut.

Well guys - which chapter do you wanna see painted?

- Before anyone argues the chapters in the poll are the only "codex chapters" left in the original space marine legions (ie the first founding). I appreciate they all deviate from the codex here and there (apart from the imperial fists), but they ARE technically codex chapters. I have left BA off because there is dispute to whether they can claim codex status or not...GW contradicts itself on this issue several times historically.

I have left off the Ultramarines as I have a 40k ultramarine army to the size of 3000pts (painted 3rd edition 40k, 3000 pts was pretty big back then) - I am STILL sick of Ultramarine Blue.

Last edited by Fantasticmrfox; March 16th, 2011 at 18:51.

www.outlanders-club.com - Outlanders Gaming Club (Rugby, UK)
    www.Adeptus-Astartes.com - AA Studios, Commission based painting studios.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Show us some nicely painted white (yellow also cool)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Elwazz View Post
    Show us some nicely painted white (yellow also cool)
    Ouch.. You git! That's not nice.

By the way guys - this poll will close on Sunday 20th March. That's when I intend to begin painting, but should there be no clear winner the choice will be put down to a roll-off.
    Last edited by Fantasticmrfox; March 16th, 2011 at 19:00.

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

138 (x6)

Well, i would have said BA!!!! however,

Id say fists because apart from the ultrasmurfs they are one of the most iconic chapters, hell , they were there the day horus (nearly) killed the emperor!
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x3)

Fists! Yellow will be interesting, plus they are some kind of SM aristocrats to me, you know living on Terra and all.

Cheers,
    LS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

has to be salamanders, they are just too cool, odd then that they love fire so much....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    has to be salamanders, they are just too cool, odd then that they love fire so much....
    You would say that, your name declares your bias

Raven Guard for me, imo they are the most interesting of the codex chapters. They're certainly the one with the most empathy for the Imperium - and you gotta love people who can make orks paranoid
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Ok, so I built the marine up last night at my games club. If it makes a difference to anyone's decision (who hasn't voted already) then I'll add the following couple of details..

I have disposed of the "beaky" helmet idea. Much as I like them, I've ended up with a bare-headed marine. Just added more character to the marine and helped balance up the model a bit more (read below for the reason).

I have to admit I haven't stuck quite to the brief I set myself. I got carried away last night. I had intended to portray the simple image of a rank and file marine. I have managed to capture that (I think) but have wandered a little from Mr Goodwin's plastic marine kits. I have ended up adding a couple of elements from the terminator set. Namely the back banner, and a couple of lightning claws.......

I know this isn't strictly the "purists approach" to a space marine, but like I said, I got carried away in my bits box. So I'm ending up with more of a Commander type than a footsoldier if you know what I mean. The good news is I haven't added too much embellishment to the armour, so the marine still looks like more of a squad commander than a captain. The armour remains clean and smooth. I have been sparing with the "extras", but I just couldn't help but use the lightning claws as it occurred to me that I've never painted a marine with them. Ever. In over 20 years.

I know it's not quite the "silhouette" that I was intending and deviates from the reasoning that saw the humble plastic marine inducted into Citadel's hall of fame, but I couldn't resist.....

Maybe that'll affect the remaining votes?

(By the way - I voted myself on this as I was tempted to paint a ********** from the word go).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

With the lightning claws I have to change what I would have answered normally. As a basic marine I would have had voted for Salamanders but with the lightning claws it has to be Imperial Fists.

Blue lightning claws against yellow armour is just lovely and probably more in character for the IF too.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Interesting! I wondered whether that might happen!

(N.B. Lightning claws may not have to be "blue").

BTW guys - voting can go until Saturday night, that's when I intend to make a start painting. If the results are drawn, then my 4 year old daughter will cast the last stone - I shall simply ask her "Green, Yellow, White or black" and see what she says....

I've already had my vote so I'm unable to make the decision should it be a tie between two chapters.
    Last edited by Fantasticmrfox; March 17th, 2011 at 16:08.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast