Highlighting black - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlighting black

I'm wondering how u guys highlight black armour/tanks. I've tried just using codex gray but it seems too light. Should I just try mixing codex gray and black or do the foundation paints work at all? Maybe if u water them down a bit?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I don't do tanks but I do black on my Tyranids and other models too. I find that a very, very light drybrush with white just on the raised areas and edges will work to provide black with a highlight. You can also use some touches with boltgun metal to make it loo like the tank has been in a few battles and some paint has come off exposing the metal shell of the tank beneath, this will give you a more real look.

Look here at these pics of the Chaos Marine Predator. It has metal used on it's edges to make it look damaged and it provided some change from the normal kind of highlighting which might seem a bit too clean. Chaos Space Marine Predator | Games Workshop

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Arrgh, double post, fiendish computer will pay!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Mix codex grey with a bit of chaos black to highlight, then go over the extreme highlights using pure codex grey. though it entirely depends on the look your wanting to achieve.
    Grey Knight WIP Thread <Clicky>

I am the Hammer...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i highlight black using shadow grey, followed by codex grey and then finally fortress grey or codex grey and skull white mix. You can always mix paints if youwant more layers, for example shadow grey and codex grey, then followed by codex grey. I then do botlgun metal followed by chainmail for chipped effects
    Warlord Grimtoof Dwarfchewer
    check out my WAAAAGH!!! Grimtoof WiP here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-grimtoof.html

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

I dry brush Shadow Grey lightly but a couple of times followed by Fortress Grey very lightly. I then have a tub of thinned Chaos Black that I wash the black areas with. Looks like this when done.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Myself i drybrush charadon granite then very lightly drybrush with fortress grey.

Just out of interest what army are you using the black tank with? I know it sounds silly but armies differ on how 'black' they want their black to be e.g. black templars will usually highlight with a solid grey and then white but the inquisition is likely to use really dark almost black greys just so the black does'nt appear flat but remains looking sinister. Sisters of Battle use pastel blues (shadow grey and enchanted blue mixed 2:1) to highlight black with but some people feel that style is dated (Personally I like it).
    Come see my Necrons, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Orks, Goblins and anything else I feel like painting at my blog: http://modelminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

775 (x8)

I highlight my black with some dark, blue color because I think it looks a lot better with blue highlights than grey.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

I too have been lightly drybrushing a light blue on the black. It just seems to give it a bit more character. But, try it out and see what you like - you may prefer the grey for tanks, since it looks a little more industrial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lowelife101
    Just out of interest what army are you using the black tank with? I know it sounds silly but armies differ on how 'black' they want their black to be e.g. black templars will usually highlight with a solid grey and then white but the inquisition is likely to use really dark almost black greys just so the black does'nt appear flat but remains looking sinister. Sisters of Battle use pastel blues (shadow grey and enchanted blue mixed 2:1) to highlight black with but some people feel that style is dated (Personally I like it).
    I'm jumping on the band wagon and starting a Grey Knights army. I was planning on painting the vehicles black. I'm not a huge fan of having silver tanks, IMO I think it takes away from the stuff that's normally painted metallic silvers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast