Sicarius & Command Squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Jimmy Carmine's WIP

After my trip over to my parents for Easter Sunday fell through thanks to car failure and buses not running I instead sat down to eat chocolate and clean up and build the 30 Tactical Marines I had sitting staring at me.

To stop the boring bits getting too boring I rewarded myself with breaks fidling with bits from my bitz box to rebuild my captain as a counts-as Sicarius and assembled a Command Squad to back him up. As I was quite pleased with them I thought I would throw them up here to see what other people think, and see if anyone can offer any suggestions to improve them.

Currently they are just dry assembled as I kept switching parts around to try and determine the best poses for each of them. They need cleaning up and their bolters drilling before proper assembly. Rules wise it's looking like it will be a Command Squad with Company Champion and Company Standard Bearer. Bolt Pistols and Power Weapons for everyone, maybe a couple of melta-bombs for armoured vehicles. Not the most versitile of setups but fun nevertheless.

I've mixed the Dark Angel veteran bodies with the Sanguinary Guard weaponry to try and make a unique looking squad.

The Captain was previously built using just the regular bitz from from the Commander boxset with the Relic Blade from the Command Squad box.

I stripped him down in dettol and reassembled him using a pair of assault marine legs and the Champion torso front on the Commander torso back to get a tabard and cloak to match him up somewhat to the rest of the squad. I gave him back his Relic Blade and replaced his old Combi-Melta with the Plasma pistol from the Commander box. Finally I used the Mark V head from the Venerable Dreadnought to make it look like parts of his armour is a relic of an older time. He will be my 'Sicarius' on the battlefield.

The Champion got the striding veteran robes and the Dark Angel Power Maul, I've tried to pose him in a way that looks like he is trying to intimidate whoever he is striding towards, maybe bouncing the head of the mace off of a fence or wall creating sparks or destroying masonry. The Red Scorpions Mark IV helmet with the Aquila on the brow is like the captains helmet used to reinforce the idea that they are using ancient equipment, relics of the Chapter.

With the slightly static poses of the rest of the squad these two are assembled to look like they are advancing to attack while their brothers provide fire support.

I don't like these back banners on Space Marines normally, for sergeants I usually mount an icon on their backpack in the same way the rest of this squad has. However as a Company Standard I think it works brilliantly as it also allows him to keep both hands free for that huge axe!

The helmet is a cutdown Sevrin Loth Honour Guard helmet as it looks like an old Mark III helmet. I'm considering putting the plastic Laurel Wreath from one of the Space Marine kits on the top of it but will decide for certain when it is all painted.

It could argue that it really should be a Relic Blade at that size but I'm using it as a Power Weapon with the Angelus Bolter counting as a Bolt Pistol.

I didn't realise until I started this post but this shot completely hides the sword on his hip. It's the sheathed power weapon from the Black Templar sprues. He get's a more static pose to represent the fact that he is providing more of a supporting role in the melee.

I have a couple spare Apothecary helmets, so I am going to attempt to lengthen his snout into either a Mark IV or Mark VI helmet to again reinforce the old armour feel of the squad.

These two get contrasting poses, one is pivoting to slash at his foe while the other pours fire into his opponent to soften them up for the charge. While the shooters helmet looks like a Mark V without the bumps to me the other guy has a Mark VII which looks out of place. I think I will keep the Mark V but replace the Mark VII with one of the plastic Black Templar Mark IV helmets.

Later in the day for funsies I mounted the old metal Whirlwind turret on a Razorback turret base. It makes for a very top heavy model, but I do love the old Whirlwind turret so.

Last edited by Jimmy Carmine; June 17th, 2011 at 11:34.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

The only suggestion/criticism I have is that perhaps the company champion look's a bit too forward orientated? Perhaps raise the mace arm, so that he is pointing at head height to re-inforce your aformentioned idea that he is intimidating his foe rathe than having it angled downwards?

My favourite has to be the slicing marine, very nicely posed.

All in all great squad sir (+rep)
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Blurry camera phone wip shots of "Sicarius" and Chums.

Looking at old Roman names I'm thinking of Aquilinus for the Captains name.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Champion almost done, turns out I'm very slow at getting stuff finished. The pad needs tidying up a little before he gets some flock on the base and a coat of matte varnish to take the shine off of him.

Oh and remember this guy? Got him done as well, only another 60 odd to do. I will likely use them as an all warrior Necron army, not sure how I am going to change a model to make the "Lord" stand out from the rank and file.

Last edited by Jimmy Carmine; May 16th, 2011 at 12:26.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)