Melting plastics? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melting plastics?

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice on melting plastics to change their shape. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so tips would be appreciated.

My project is to make a BSB for my Warriors of Chaos army. I'm using a Terminator Lord from 40k for the front, and a chaos knight for the back of the torso (so it's not too chunky). I've filed away at the T-Lord cloak in order to get it to fit snugly with the back, but the top bit sticks up a little and i'd like to bend it over the top so that it looks like it's fastened at the shoulders. Any tips for this kind of application?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use a soldering iron, I've had some good results using one to sculpt sprue into various things. If what you're doing is quite fiddly, as it sounds, get some practice in first with some spare parts.
    If I've replied, i've probably used Italics...

www.goodbyeboltgun.blogspot.com - Some of my stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Soldering irons are probably best, yeah, though I find Green Stuff tends to do the job rather less riskily

~ Acarna

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Just how much you need to melt them?In order to twist them i find it usefull to warm them.Boilling watter would do.\Wear protection though.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I have found holding the platic over a boiling kettles steam (with pliers /insulated tweezers,) allows it to get hot enough to bend, without loosing its shape too much.
    Soldering irons work at much higher temperatures ,and so extra care is needed.(To avoid completly melting the plastic, burning your fingers.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Be carefull

Noooo! Very very bad idea to actually BURN plastic...

"Plastic such as PVC (polyvinylchloride)is common in such things as vinyl siding, bottles and jugs, vinyl tubing, drainpipes, blister paks, etc. Care should be taken never to burn these at home, as carbon monoxide, dioxins and furans are released into the air. Studies have linked dioxins and furans to cancer and respiratory disease."
    (Environment, Energy and Forestry: Dangers of Burning Plastic)

Heating plastic so it 'melts' (as in goes floppy, not burning it so it emits fumes) is ok, I've done this using an oven on about 200 degrees C, watching it very carefully - it will smell a bit but won't emit anything harmful. I was heating sheets of ABS plastic for vacuum forming. You should NEVER ever actually burn plastic.

What exactly is it you're trying to model? There might be a simpler way...
    Please check out my new blog and let me know what you think.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Dude, burning anything with stuff like that I would hope involves a degree of common sense. He's not burning large amounts and I would like to think anyone would be careful enough to not breathe in melted plastic and do it in a well-ventilated room. And even then, if not it's probably too late since this was posted several months ago and has probably been done by now.

~ Acarna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

About a month ago, yes... these forums will be read by other people - it's a good idea to point out when something is highly dangerous. If you insist on doing it, ventilation might help but if you're using a soldering iron, odds are you'll be very close to the subject and therefore, close to very dangerous fumes... just saying.
    Please check out my new blog and let me know what you think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I haven't done it yet! :o) I had other projects come up, so thanks for the advice guys

+ Reply to Thread