Airbrush Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbrush Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airbrush Help!

Hi all, so recently I bought a Neo for Iwata Airbrush, and purchased a small airbrush compressor. The compressor is giving me 20 psi, which has worked fine.

I used the airbrush twice with great success using it for a yellow and a camo gray. Now I have started a daemons army and want to airbrush red. This is so problematic its annoying. (I have been using GW paints). The red clogs the airbrush by the end of the first model, when I try to add more water to lessen the consistency it bubbles and just splatters everywhere. If anyone has had this problem before please help me! Thanks.

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Hmm... seems your red paint is not entirely up to standard...
    In general water is not the best way to thin paint either as it messes a bit with the consistency. Simple solution is to add a tiny (really, tiny!) drop of dish washing detergent. This will lower the surface tension and make it easier for the paint and water to mix.
    Best would be to use some regular airbrush thinner like the one from Vallejo (comes in 20ml bottles).
    What's also a good additive for your paint mixes is a little 'Klear', which is a brand name of regular household transparent gloss varnish used to clean/seal floor tiles. This adds some strength to the paint mix.

As a cross-test you could always simply buy another bottle of red paint and see if you get the same results, it might just be a dodgy bottle of red you've got now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Hmm... seems your red paint is not entirely up to standard...
    In general water is not the best way to thin paint either as it messes a bit with the consistency. Simple solution is to add a tiny (really, tiny!) drop of dish washing detergent. This will lower the surface tension and make it easier for the paint and water to mix.
    Best would be to use some regular airbrush thinner like the one from Vallejo (comes in 20ml bottles).
    What's also a good additive for your paint mixes is a little 'Klear', which is a brand name of regular household transparent gloss varnish used to clean/seal floor tiles. This adds some strength to the paint mix.

As a cross-test you could always simply buy another bottle of red paint and see if you get the same results, it might just be a dodgy bottle of red you've got now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your paint new or an old pot? It sounds to me like your airbrush is getting clogged. If you try to draw paints from an older pot it's really easy to introduce chunks into the mix which will then clog the brush. It's always best to work with newer pots when possible. Using dropper bottled paints (like Vallejo) is even better. In any case, adding a little detergent as Meph mentioned may also help.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Try using Windex (the blue window cleaner for those not in the US) to cut it instead. Works wonders for me. Nothing else but Windex. A 1:1 mix should work fine. It'll smell like you've been cleaning the windows, but so what?

Cutting with plain water usually doesn't work well, but any sort of alcohol-based thinner can really make things complicated really fast.

And yes, if you're still having problems a new pot of paint might not hurt.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Please don't use KLEAR if you live in the UK - it's a different product recipe due to legislation from that sold elsewhere - it's also been renamed. It does NOT work and will knacker you paint job up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we use other spray guns other than Citadel's. Saw a Gravity Spray Gun Mini Jet Smart Repair Spray on ebay. Anyone tried a gravity gun rather than a propelent one?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by theconman10 View Post
    Can we use other spray guns other than Citadel's. Saw a Gravity Spray Gun Mini Jet Smart Repair Spray on ebay. Anyone tried a gravity gun rather than a propelent one?
    LOL! I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick my friend. Gravity feed refers to the paint.......you still need compressed air either from a prop can or a compressor.

Push the boat out, a simple airgun will cost you less than thirty quid with a spare mixing bottle and lid (look for a badger 250 to start with). A decent "auto-shut off" low noise compressor can be bought new for around 140quid.

140 quid = 25 cans of GW's air (without the freezing!).......it's a no brainer if you ask me.

Follow these links for a good place to start your airbrushing skills off:

Badger 250-2 Basic Spray Gun B-250-2

Airbrush Compressor Kit I - Airbrush Compressors | Airbrushes | Compressors
    Last edited by Fantasticmrfox; July 8th, 2011 at 11:15.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasticmrfox View Post
    Please don't use KLEAR if you live in the UK - it's a different product recipe due to legislation from that sold elsewhere - it's also been renamed. It does NOT work and will knacker you paint job up.
    This is interesting... On one of the british modelling forums I use to read, it seems like each and everyone use Klear as varnish (for thier models) before and after putting on decals. They apply it with an airbrush, but then it is only the polish, not mixed with paint...
    Currently painting the Waaagh! of Warboss Borboss - Goff and Evil Sunz warband

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    This is interesting... On one of the british modelling forums I use to read, it seems like each and everyone use Klear as varnish (for thier models) before and after putting on decals. They apply it with an airbrush, but then it is only the polish, not mixed with paint...
    What happened to Johnson's Klear for Magic Dip and Wash | Long Range Logistics

This is why they changed it (apparently they now use a different solvent base to avoid the below problem!).

Household use

Solutions of ammonia (5–10% by weight) are used as household cleaners, particularly for glass. These solutions are irritating to the eyes and mucous membranes (respiratory and digestive tracts), and to a lesser extent the skin. Caution should be used that the chemical is never mixed into any liquid containing bleach, or a poisonous gas may result. Mixing with chlorine-containing products or strong oxidants, for example household bleach can lead to hazardous compounds such as chloramines.
    It's still good for applying/bedding in transfers according to most people, but sadly not so good for mixing and weathering.

This is a brilliant article which might help fans of the original Klear out

The Complete Future

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast