I need 'Red' advice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need 'Red' advice.

Here is the guy I am currently doing.

Mauler1.jpgMauler2.jpgMauler3.jpg

I am not finished with him yet, I've done the growths and skin so far, but I'm not liking the skin. This is my first time doing Red as my main color scheme, and I wanted a red flesh like tone, but this guy ended up looking like a half sucked gobstopper.

Does anyone got any advice on making him look more natural. I was thinking of giving the skin a brown wash and then dry brushing a Brown red mix, but I'm afraid it will look more brown than red.

Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Well, as you notice if you highlight red with white it turns pink, this is the main reason way red can be hard, when I paint red, I often shade down to a dark brown shade almost black and highlight up to red, then ad some orange for extreme highlights, IMO dry-brush never is the answer (if you not speed paint the model, or going for a advanced dry-brush, glaze technique...) if speed is in portent the use a dip and be done with it...

Anyway for the red, a wash with dark brown can help, but don just slab it on, use it gently, and do it in 5-10 layers, also wather down the was a bit more and dont use to much paint on the brush, afther that you can highlight with a dark red, red + darkbrown and then a middle darkbrown brown + more red, and end with pure red, aftther that mabu use red + some orange for some extreme spots

hope this helps
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your effort looks better than a recent attempt of mine. It looks good, like a red version of Doomsday from Superman comics. Try the brown wash like Zentradi suggest above. If you still don't like it, and want a more fleshy color, try a dark red base, with a skin tone over it, and then washed with red. Doing that with green works for goblins fairly well.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

I got a nice redish hue by giving a purple wash to one of my minis.It got a bit crimson than red though.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

A good way to hilight red is to add elf flesh or vomit brown. If you add white it goes pink. If you add yellow it goes orange buth flesh or vomit brown make a nice hilight to blood red.

Purple or even green washes can be decent shading then reapply the blood red and hilight with flesh mixed in.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Some good tips already and I tend to agree with them. I normally would shade red with a dark brown myself as Zen has pointed out, it gives a nice deep rich red colour that I really like.

As everyone has pointed out, never highlight red with white unless you want a pink looking colour.

What I would have done if I was aiming for a red colour skin would have been to basecoat the mini in a 50:50 red:flesh colour, then darkened with flesh into the recesses, finishing with a brown wash in the darkest points and highlighting with a red to the tips of the muscles, where you could have either decided to do the final highlight with an orange colour or picked out sinews with a pink colour. Think it might have given an interesting effect.

But for here, I think a brown wash and an orange highlight would give you a richer more natural looking red than you currently have.
    Last edited by chemicalcaveman; July 18th, 2011 at 17:29.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

one way of highlighting red is mixing in a light green, sounds strange but it does work.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Gedderz View Post
    one way of highlighting red is mixing in a light green, sounds strange but it does work.
    not so strange... as green is a mix of yellow and blue, a bright yellow often have a lots of yellow in it, I have to look in to this my self...
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

+ Reply to Thread