Disassembling a Tank - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disassembling a Tank

Hi all,

I recently acquired a vindicator that isn't assembled all too well. Case in point:

Vindi.jpg

As you can see, the top of the sides seem to bend in and down. I don't think this is how it's supposed to be (that said, I've never had a rhino before).

So I'm looking for a way to disassemble and reassemble it. My friend used "Citadel Miniatures Super Glue" to put it together, so I think it's a possibility. I also found this old thread on the topic: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/modelling/162474-i-need-disassemble-my-models.html

H
    as anyone tried this method before, and did it work? I've also heard freezing the model and then pulling it apart works.

Obviously, I'd like to refrain from breaking any of the pieces.

And two semi-related questions: Will I need to clean the model before reassembly and painting it? And is there any point to painting the interior of a vindicator? I'm not sure if they open or not. I've been given the rest of the sprues, and I think a crane-part covers the door.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: One last question: Would this work on painted models/basing with Elmers glue?

Last edited by VTSvsAlucard; July 21st, 2011 at 04:05.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Can you find some blue lighting alchool?I dont know its exsact name in english here is a pic:Google Images

It will desolve the bonds of the glue if you soak it up for a day but will also remove the models paint or parts of it depending on how much old is the paint on the model.

If you dont care for the paint at all use white spirit and be done with it.It will take longere though.

In both cases either keep the container sealed,or in a well aired place.
    Last edited by pilot00; July 22nd, 2011 at 17:21.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x5)

I've also heard the de-greasing product Purple Power is really good and removing both paint and superglue and doesn't harm the plastic at all. I haven't used it myself but someone I game with swears by it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure how effective it is comared to these other suggestions, but when i had to remove some misglued pieces i used some of my sisters nail polish remover that worked reasonable well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

aslong as the nail varnish remover you use is acetone free that will work but personally it's easier to go with the freezer technique and carefully bend parts free with a thin bladed screw driver (one out of a glasses repair kit should do it).
    Come see my Necrons, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Orks, Goblins and anything else I feel like painting at my blog: http://modelminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

I used the freezer trick to disassemble my land raider. it worked pretty well i left it in the freezer for 3 days and most of it came apart pretty easily. i did have to use my xacto knife to assist on some over glued part but all in all it came out well. If you plan on stripping any paint off using simple green i recomend disassembling it first. Simple green makes the plastic a little soft in my opinion, especially if you leave it in too long.

+ Reply to Thread