Help with Transfers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Help with Transfers

Hello,

I'm having a little bit of trouble with transfers. I've put them on the shoulder pads of my marines, and they are a little bit... glossy? I'm not sure if some air got under the transfers or thats just the way that they always look, as I've never used them before.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same before, or has some advice on how to avoid it. I was thinking of doing a thin wash over the shoulder pad, do you think it would work?

Cheers!

Army: W/L/D -- Eldar 6/2/2; Orks 1/3/0; BA 1/1/0

The Tale of Two Gamers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Use flat spray top coat. It will take the shininess away from the transfers and make it look real nice. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Use flat spray top coat
    Is flat spray top coat the same as matte vanish?

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

Here is my easy method and it has never failed me yet...

I use Model Masters semi-gloss acrylic (or any other brand) to go lightly over the area that will have the decal. This acts as a smooth finish for the decal to adhere to without any air getting trapped underneath. If you try to apply a decal directly onto your flat acrylic paint the decal won't stick down properly and you will get that white-ish weird look.

Then liberally apply some decal set (a MUST when doing decals!!) to the spot and slide the transfer onto the area. Use your brush with more decal set to push into the exact postion and let it sit for about a minute. The decal set softens the decal and acts to helps blend the transfer around curves. Then push straight down with a damp paper towel on the decal to set it - do not rub. There should not be any air under the decal - if so, then no amount of top coat will get rid of that weird look. Decal set is really just some thinned out vinegar, so if you are not keen on buying any you may have some white vinegar lying around - maybe 1:1 with water should work.

Once you let the decal sit and dry for a few minutes, I go back over with a very light coat of either the semi-gloss or matte acrylic to get rid of the glossy decal look and it will blend in pefectly.

Good luck!!

PS - don't ever use lacquer-based varnish to spray over decals - it will wrinkle them!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I agree with MDSW but I use Micro Sol. You get it from model shops and it costs £4 ish for a small pot which should last you 2-3 armies worth of decals.

1. Apply Microsol to the shoulder pad.
    2. Apply decal with water as usual.
    3. Smooth out the decal with a brush and remove excess liquid.
    4. Apply a coat of micro sol with a brush on top of the decal and let it dry.

Repeat step 4 as needed, each coat will shrink the decal and disolve away the carrier film. I find 2-3 coats enough in most cases.

Some people also reccomend gloss coating the area to receive the decal to get a better fit with no air bubbles but I have never bothered and micro sol on its own seems to work ok.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

Yes - it really depends on the finish of the paint you are applying the decal to whether you need the initial coat of semi-gloss. I have just found that not all acrylics are created equal and some have a rougher finish than others. However, if you stick with just the GW paints, you will probably be of.

I have been known to stray from the $$$ GW paints from time to time....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Okay, thanks for your advice guys!

MDSW - where would I be able to get decal set from? Is this standard to find at a hobby shop?

Mad Cat - do you know what Micro Sol is? I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if model shops here will carry it. To be fair, I haven't checked yet, but just in case it might be good to know what the stuff is made of.

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

986 (x8)

Sorry - out of touch for a while... Testors makes a good Decal set and you buy it where you buy the small bottles of enamel model paints.

+ Reply to Thread