Need help w/ Airbrush/Compressor - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help w/ Airbrush/Compressor

Hi all,

I have a Neo for Iwata which is a Siphon-Feed Dual-Action Airbrush. My compressor is a Cheap Airbrush Compressor that I got for a good deal at a local lumber/hardware store. It regularly puts out around 30psi.

So my problem is, I have been using the Airbrush for about 2 months now and I love it. Best investment I have ever made. Anyway I was using it this morning and switched paints, when I did this the Airbrush was getting almost no air, I release the "water trap" on the Compressor and that didn't work, I even disassembled the airbrush and cleaned it. It still gets no pressure.

Anyone experience this and have a solution? Thanks.

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

Are you shooting acrylics through your airbrush? Some people do OK, but I will only do it with my big, cheap 'total coverage' airbrushes, never with a fine dual action brush - I will only use thinner-based enamels through my better brushes. I will only shoot inks or enamels through my better brushes.

You could have a few problems, as long as your compressor blows air before you hook it up, try this:
    1. paint stuck in your brush - Although you cleaned it, there could still be some stuck in the siphon area. Once acrylic paint dires, it is impervious to most efforts to clean it, whereas enamel can always be cleaned up with thinner and flows easier through the brush. There are areas of your brush that no amount of disassembly will get to - and that is where the paint comes into the brush.
    2. blown airbrush diaphram - some brushes have a small rubber/teflon gasket up in the air chamber that can get destroyed when the pressure is too high. You will need to unscrew the lower area where you attach the hose and pull out the guts to check it out.
    3. compressor no longer blows air - make sure nothing is blocking the hose or the output and you tank is pressurizing. If it is clear and still a lack of air in the tank, then that is a bigger problem - maybe the compressor diaphram or piston. If so, and it was a cheal compressor, it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one. Also, you need to release the water-trap after EVERY USE!! If you don't the water stays in the tank and will rust it and ruin your compressor in short time. This is a very common mistake, so always release the valve, blow out the remaining air and water condensation and leave it open until you use it again. Just close it before you start it up.

For smaller, fine work brushes you should not blow more than 25psi - usually 15-20psi is good. I will blow 25-30 on my big single action jar-type brush when I am basically using it as a spraygun to cover a huge area.

I hope you find the issue. Just start at the compressor end and then work towards the brush. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread