True scale? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: True scale?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True scale?

Hi guys.. I haven't been active in any kind of wargaming community or modelling forum for ages, but I've recently dabbled in restarting my hobby. While I was searching for some conversion ideas for a Master of the Forge, I came across the website with the same name (dealing mostly with conversions and painting). Now, I'll admit to be a bit rusty in terms of.. well.. everything.. but one thing caught my eye. Art/True scale miniatures.. now to the question at hand..

What is the definition of Art/True scale? and
    Are there any differences within the terms?

Sorry if this sounds a bit too noobish to ask about, and if this is already answered in another topic, please link it to me (maybe even as a personal msg, so this topic can be closed for reposting)

- Thanks in advance.

Dethklaat

And now to erase your memory of this entire conversation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

First, it's important to know that Fantasy/40k are in 28mm "Heroic" scale. So that's where you should look first.

I've never heard of "Art Scale" personally, but "True Scale" is something I'm familiar with. True Scale is as close to 'real' as you're going to get. To put things into perspective, it's easier to explain what sets 'Heroic Scale' apart.

Heroic Scale is characterized by enlarged or stylized features. Men, for example, will have larger, meatier hands and larger muscles and torsos. Female models typically have improbably narrowed waists, longer legs, and more rounded figures. Both with have larger heads, to make facial features more visible. Usually, weapons are also made uncharacteristically large, although sometimes you'll see this for blades in truescale to make the model more robust and less fragile.

True Scale tends to look smaller than Heroic. For example, my 28mm Truescale samurai look a bit petite next to my Warhammer models. You can mix the two quite easily, it's not entirely noticeable, but be prepared for the models to be a tad more modest in their sizing.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that was quite helpful.
    - It also makes sense now about the true scale of the marines converted on Masteroftheforge, since they were bulking them up and giving them larger limbs to counteract the bigger heads and weapons like you mentioned.
    And now to erase your memory of this entire conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When ever I hear the term "true scale" used in the warhammer world, I think of a project like this:

Where the guy who did it, converted his marines using greenstuff and terminator parts, to up the size of his marines to be true to 40k canon when in comparison to other 40k models.

he had a tutorial here:
    Maintenance Mode

but the website appears to be down for a while.
    "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."- Tom Clancy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper "true scale" looks very weird on Warhammer, guns are too small. It is easy to compare if you have some models for WW2 tanks and some tanks for Imperial Guard. Or you can buy some bits of M16 rifles and try them with IG again.

I suppose both those terms came from drawing. Marvel and other comics are Heroic, that means that you're making bigger gun - it will subconsciously show the reader that the enemy is really powerful, so adding on heroism to crush that enemy.

And "artscale" is a method to show what is most important on a picture by making something bigger. So when you're making your Lord in art scale he will stand out between other marines, showing how important he is.

+ Reply to Thread